Help! Foamy eye and swollen face!

shinylizardwing

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Hello,
This afternoon as I went out to give my chickens some table scraps, I noticed my rhodie had a weird looking eye. Upon further examination it is foamy and her face is swollen. I think there was some clear discharge coming out of her nose as well. She's eating well and moving about normally, but her face is so hot and swollen! She's a neat chicken who watches out for the others and isn't excessively pecky. I think she's about a year old. I really don't want to lose her or the other five chickens in the run.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm digging through my chicken health handbook for answers, but thought this might also be an appropriate place to look for help.

51272_100_4126.jpg

51272_100_4123.jpg

Thanks!

Look up Coryza and MG and see if that might be a match.

Sorry, bout your bird, it would be a very good idea to keep her separate from the others though no way but time to know she has not already passed the germs on to the others.

Erythromycin and oxytetracycline (Terramycin) are some easy to get treatment options, Baytril is going to be harder to get and is not licenced for use in layers. Using antibiotics has implications for eggs best to read up on it before deciding on which treatment to use.

My little rooster was doing much the same except the eye bubbles he had swollen face on one side and sneezing with clear liquid coming out with the sneeze. I have him isolated giving hm duramyacin and took him to the vet yesterday. she checked him over and told me to keep him on the meds for 2 weeks. I told her I had layers but they were not in the same coop. If they start to sneeze I have to treat them too. So far no sneezes. But she told me you can not use the eggs during treatment and 10 days after last treatment. You can though feed the eggs back to the chickens.

hi,
would really appreciate advice as ive returned from holiday to a number of health issues in my chickens.
1, foamy swollen eye- i have batril already at home - can i treat her with this if i dicard her eggs- and what dosage?
2, a severe limp in my speckledy. but not sign of cut,splinter etc and not improving for 2 wks
3,yellow runny poo in a few of them and one with severe weight loss and today only drinking not eating and huddled- she seemed to improve then went down worse today.
4, one of my bluerangers has a blueish tinge to her cone and although shes eating etc isnt quite herself

ive been advised to terminate and start again-is this really necessary as they are more like members of the family:_(
also i use mite powder in coop etc ,what do you advise for them -ive heard of stuff to put in their water-what else should i be giving them regularly asides worming twice a year

oo and one i think has lifted scales on her legs but seems strong and behaving normally. i give a little cider vinegar in water each month , tried warm water with a little honey and vaseline their legs

help
thank you
sam taylor

Back
Top Bottom