Heritage New Hampshires

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
ALBC lists New Hampshires as "Watch." I am surprised they are not on the "Critical," or "Threatened," lists, as I just don't hear much about them. Maybe they (ALBC) are considering hatchery production birds? I started this thread to see if there are more out there. Do you raise Heritage New Hampshires, breed them, or know of others that do? Would love to see some pictures, as well.

Heritage breeds are described as (from ALBC):

Heritage Chicken must adhere to all the following:
1. APA Standard Breed: Heritage Chicken must be from parent and grandparent stock of breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) prior to the mid-20th century; whose genetic line can be traced back multiple generations; and with traits that meet the APA Standard of Perfection guidelines for the breed. Heritage Chicken must be produced and sired by an APA Standard breed. Heritage eggs must be laid by an APA Standard breed.
2. Naturally mating: Heritage Chicken must be reproduced and genetically maintained through natural mating. Chickens marketed as Heritage must be the result of naturally mating pairs of both grandparent and parent stock.
3. Long, productive outdoor lifespan: Heritage Chicken must have the genetic ability to live a long, vigorous life and thrive in the rigors of pasture-based, outdoor production systems. Breeding hens should be productive for 5-7 years and roosters for 3-5 years.
4. Slow growth rate: Heritage Chicken must have a moderate to slow rate of growth, reaching appropriate market weight for the breed in no less than 16 weeks. This gives the chicken time to develop strong skeletal structure and healthy organs prior to building muscle mass.

Chickens marketed as Heritage must include the variety and breed name on the label. Terms like “heirloom,” “antique,” “old-fashioned,” and “old timey” imply Heritage and are understood to be synonymous with the definition provided here.

By the way .... here is the current ALBC list, though the accuracy may be questionable, it is the only list I know of:

Critical
Buckeye
Campine
Chantecler
Crevecoeur
Holland
Modern Game
Nankin
Redcap
Russian Orloff
Spanish
Sultan
Sumatra
Yokohama

Threatened:
Andalusian
Buttercup
Cubalaya
Delaware
Dorking
Faverolle
Java
Lakenvelder
Langshan
Malay
Phoenix

Watch:
Ancona
Aseel
Brahma
Catalana
Cochin
Cornish
Dominique
Hamburg
Houdan
Jersey Giant
La Fleche
Minorca
New Hampshire
Old English Game
Polish
Rhode Island White
Sebright
Shamo

Recovering:
Australorp
Leghorn- Non-industrial
Orpington
Plymouth Rock
Rhode Island Red - Non industrial
Sussex
Wyandotte

Study:
Araucana
Iowa Blue
Lamona
Manx Rumpy (aka Persian Rumpless)
Naked Neck (aka Turken)

Great Info
thumbsup.gif

Personally I think the ALBC just doesn't tally birds very well. . . I think they're putting production quality New Hampshires on there, and look - Araucanas are on "study" because they can't bother to research the difference between Araucana and Ameraucana (which obviously means they're even more clueless about Easter Eggers. . .
roll.png
)

Another thing - Houdans, La Fleche, Catalanas, Aseel, and Shamo should be more than just "watched." I have yet to even see true to type Houdans except for an old photo fowlman01 had.

Quote:
Well look at the Lamona it is only in the, "Study" bracket.

They also don't bother to separate Rose Comb Rhode Island Reds and Single Comb Rhode Island Red..

Chris

Last edited:
Illia wrote:

Personally I think the ALBC just doesn't tally birds very well. . . I think they're putting production quality New Hampshires on there, and look - Araucanas are on "study" because they can't bother to research the difference between Araucana and Ameraucana (which obviously means they're even more clueless about Easter Eggers. . . )​

I don't know myself, but why would they include hatchery New Hampshire's when they list other breed as example Leghorns; non production strains. I think there are others listed that way also.​

Houdans just on watch?? What? I would expect at least threatened!

and Illia: No houdan in the USA is correct (to the french standard) they require a leaf/butterfly comb, of which the US one doesn't.

there is another thing in a breed such as orpingtons they are on they recovering list but that does not mean some varieties are not rare.
punky

Quote:
I don't expect there are many Houdans bred to the American Standard in France either. Why would one expect American breeders to breed to a Standard that doesn't apply to them?

When there is only maybe 30 to 50 of a breed left in the country Standard or Heritage or Heriloom what list should they be on with this origanization? New Hampshires are as bad as any breed right now but in one to two years they will be safe.

Rhode Island Whites are not breed to the standard and they are about gone gone.

White Face Black Spanish I have found two breeders maybe 40 chickens in January in Tenn and North Carolina . I have a fellow who wants some.

Thank goodness there are some folks who are going to promote this breed next year. Lets see your pictures of Standard Breed New Hampshires bob

Quote:
I don't expect there are many Houdans bred to the American Standard in France either. Why would one expect American breeders to breed to a Standard that doesn't apply to them?

But what I mean is the American version is not true to the actual French breed.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom