Does this turkey have blackhead disease? HELP ME!

Southernchickens

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
61924_104_1546.jpg

61924_104_1548.jpg

61924_104_1549.jpg

Does this turkey have blackhead disease? It is acting normal and the other turkey I have doesn't have this.
It has been living with chickens since it was young but just recently got this way.

I think it may be fowl pox... never saw it personally but I have heard of it. Isolate, and I think it clears up on it's own.

I've never had fowl pox (also called avian pox) but once when I was trying to diagnose a sick turkey, I did a lot of research, and the pictures of fowl pox on the internet look EXACTLY like your pictures. I know that's not a very scientific diagnosis, but it's a place to start.

Here are good pictures: http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/510

If
it does turn out to be fowl pox, it's not supposed to be fatal very often (unless the bird develops pox in the mouth "wet pox") but I understand that it's very contagious, so isolating the bird from the rest of flock is probably a good precaution.

Good luck!

Yep I agree that it looks like fowl pox, I was able to clear it out of a few young turkeys that had it once, I would cut off the scabs and put Iodine on it and it it got worse then better which is what I've heard it does. Also put one some gloves or something and open her mouth and see if she has any kind of white masses forming in her mouth, if so fine something small enought to fit in there and strape what you can out and swab it with Iodine too. It its the "Wet" strain that gets in the mouth and could cause the birds air and/or food passage ways to close up and kill it, other than that, it shouldnt be fatal.

After the birds get over it, they dont remain carriers and are usually immune to it and you should also get you a Fowl Pox vaccine to do your whole flock of birds, its very cheap, like $12 a bottle including shipping if you order it from Strombergs like I did. And the one bottle is enough to do A LOT of birds and it comes with a little double pronged fork that you dip in the vaccine and you punch it throught wing web in the birds wing, so its not an injection type vaccine.

Yes that is fowl pox or turkey pox, turkeys can get either. Once a bird is infected any sort of inoculation is useless, since the inoculation is made from weak pox. With pox there can be two main types wet or dry, dry type effects the bare skin, wet gets into the respiratory system and can be fatal. Fowl pox will jump to other birds and your chickens, so if there is no small white bumps, looks like small white pimples, then you should consider inoculation of those birds.

The infection jumps from bird to bird it won't happen all at once, this year with 12 turkeys and 27 chickens it took about a month from when i first noticed it to the last bird was showing signs. All the birds showed some sort of pox from very mild to worse then the one you have a picture of. Depending on the degree of the infection it took from about a week to a month for the individual bird to get over it.

The scabs contain the highest concentration of the virus so be careful in handling those. Once the fall off it takes a day or two to ensure there is no living virus in scab.
There is no know case of turkey pox jumping from turkeys to humans.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom