Diatomaceous Earth in New Zealand?

yankiwi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
New Zealand West Coast
Hi to all Kiwis
I've been reading of the supersonic benefits of Diatomaceous Earth which seems to sell for around $25 per 50 pounds in the US while the only stuff I can find here is from online health food sellers and costs about $15 per 300 grams. As much as I'd like to try it, that's way too much for my three chickens.
Has anyone found a feed store that sells it here, preferably in the South Island? I'm near Greymouth but would get it from anywhere if the price was right and I'm always up for a road trip.
My three NH Reds are about ten weeks old and today is the first time they have seen rain (contrary to the popular view that it's always raining on the Coast). They are outside now (their choice) and will be wet in an hour when they go inside. I think some DE would be a great thing in their coop.
Thanks to all.

Hi

the only place I have found it is TradeMe, no petshops or CRT has it.. haven't tried any saddlery or garden shops tho except the big mega stores which don't stock it.

wish I knew!

couldnt you get in on line, i bought a ' starter ' size shaker bottle on ebay and its great, when its finished i will buy a larger size.
wink.png

Thanks, I did find it on TradeMe and a slightly cheaper place--healthy online which sells 300gm bottles for NZ$14.90.
Prices in New Zealand seem really expensive compared with the US and about double the price in Canada. I only have a small coop with three chickens so I bought the 300gms, just waiting a few days for it to come. poultrynz is one of the companies selling on TradeMe. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

yes i have found that too that things are way more expensive here it unfair really. i see things for under $100 & get all excited but for me to get it its over &200 nz it sux

Back
Top Bottom