Help! I'm not sure if my broodys egg are good & other....

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
problems.
barnie.gif

Today is day 8 of my broody sitting on eggs from my other, older flock (brahmas). The brahma eggs are always fertile when I crack them in a bowl for eating, but I have never tried to hatch them before.
I was planning on waiting until this weekend to candle the eggs, since DH has promised to make me a proper candling box (vs. a flashlight).
I was just out in the coop and smelled a horrible smell. Smelled like broody poop, but my broody was on her nest and she hadn't pooped. I checked the entire nest, no poop. So I'm thinking one of the eggs is bad, but I checked all of them and they don't have a smell, other than smelling mildly of hay.
I decided to candle them using a flashlight. Not sure if I'm doing it right. All I see is nothing, cept for a few (porous?) spots; not alot, just a few.
I can't figure out if I'm not doing it right or the eggs are no good. If they aren't any good, what do I do? Find her more eggs?
Advise please.
fl.gif

I'm no help at all, just wanted to wish you good luck! I'm kinda in the same spot with my bator eggs. I've tried to candle and have seen nothing.
sad.png

I hope more knowledgeable folks chime in soon for you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876
Does
it look like the 28 hours picture?

I don't throw eggs away until around 2 weeks, myself. But then I have only hatched 3 times. I feel safe at 2 weeks if there is no development, or if you can see that the chick died after a few days.

I personally would wait and check again in another week if possible without disturbing your broody's trance, lol, (I don't have experience with broodies) since they all smell fine.

I have a fear of (as another BYC'er said once) throwing away a chick.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm not going to throw them away just yet. I'm searching around for some more fertile eggs just in case. Don't have any money in my paypal right now or I would have ordered some backups.
hmm.png

ETA: They look more like the 52 hour pics, but without the blood island.

Last edited:
Could there be an egg hiding somewhere else in the coop? Do you use shavings or hay? I have had a couple of cases where the younger hens have dug around so much they buried the odd egg in shavings.

??? Just reaching here . . . but for me THE NOSE KNOWS.
wink.png

Good luck!

Hi! If you are unsure, candle an unincubated egg then candle your incubating eggs. That will tell you whether there is something going on or nothing.
The smell... I bet the broody had come off the nest and evacuated and you were smelling that.
Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
Possible, but not probable. I was out in the coop alot today and checked it over pretty well. I have to take the dogs out in a few. I left the screened door open on the coop due to the projected overnight temps. in the 40s. I'll check again.

Check each of the eggs individually, and check for any leakage at all. If you get one that has any sort of damp spot at all, that is the culprit and best be removed before exploding. Because THAT is really stinker of a mess.

Quote:
Well that just confuses me more.
sad.png
I've noticed that when my broody gets off the nest for her daily constitutional that all the eggs are sweaty, not like they are leaking, just like they have been misted. I assumed this was normal with eggs under a broody.

I'm not going to mess with her anymore tonight. I'll check the eggs more thoroughly when she's off the nest tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom