BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
UPDATE

We are no longer using this anti-spam system. It has been retired with the conversion to the new platform.

If you are having problems posting please start a new topic with VERY detailed answers to these questions:

• What is the URL of the page that you got the error or had problems?
• Did you receive any error messages? if yes, what were they (please copy and paste the entire message, screenshots are best)?
• What were the exact steps you took before having the problem? Please be as specific as possible so we can do exactly what you did.
• How long has it been happening? If only one time, what day and time did it happen?
• Which browser and version are you using (eg., Firefox 3.5.9, Internet Explorer 7, etc.)
• Have you logged out, deleted your internet cache, logged back in, and tried again?
• Have you tried a different browser?
• Have you tried a different computer?

Over the past 6 days all the BYC family of forums have been hit hard with spam... LOTS of spam. In fact, in just the first 12 hours of the day today 250 spammers signed up on BYC alone!

Thanks to the amazing work of our moderators and the reports from our members we've been able to remove most of the spam and spammers.

We've also been implementing a few different systems to stop, or at least slow down the spammers from free access to posting their junk on BYC and the sister sites. Some of those systems are behind the scenes and some may impact new members.

Until we feel very comfortable that the spammers have chosen a new place in which to play, we'll have a few restrictions in place for brand new members.

Starting now, if you are a brand new member you will NOT be able to:

1) Post links or pictures
2) Create a signature or post an avatar

Once you are no longer "new" (which is determined by our system) you'll be able to freely post links and images and update your entire profile.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but it is one of the trade-offs we must put in place to keep BYC running smoothly and clean for all of our wonderful members and visitors!

Thank you for your support of our amazing community!

If you have problems accessing BYC, posting, etc. please let us know!

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
Thank you, Nifty. That should really help to slow down the spammers.

I haven't seen a single spammer, so I guess the staff did Pretty good eliminating them! And, No! That would speed up the 80,000 members mark which I figured out like, "scientifically" (I just noted the difference in bla bla bla) How about instead once a person reaches like, out of the brooder or something, They can post?

Thanks so much. I've been hit by 2 on auctions alone! You all are the best to stop this...I so appreciate! Happy new Years! Nancy

I love the idea but I do have a question...

what if.....

a new member is in need of help with a problem and because they dont have the ability to post pics, it may make for a confusing situation... can they contact a mod and have the pic approved by an mod and then the mod put the pic in the thread?...

I am not trying to be difficult... i would hate for a new member to be turned away or turned off because of the new rules

So how long does it take me to get out of the new egg stage? Or is it on the number of postings?

Yea spam can be a problem, but you must do what you have to do to keep spammers out.
wink.png

Quote:
While they won't be able to post pics, they will be able to ask questions and get a bit of help while their account is in review. Fortunately the process for them to become "active members" isn't too bad / long. It's a necessary evil until we can find a way to really slow the spammers from even joining the forum.

Quote:
People that sign up with the sole intent of promoting another website or product. Often adult materials, and other products / services that aren't at all related to BYC. Often the links go to websites that are designed to give you a virus or capture your information.

Quote:
We're not providing that info publicly. We'd hate to give the spammers a "how-to manual" for getting through our spam blockers.
smile.png

The good news is that right now the restrictions will only be in place for a short time while the account is evaluated and shouldn't impact too many new members for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom