Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Dartmouth, Ma
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
RIR Rooster, 10 months old, approx 12-13lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
acts normal but i haven't heard him crow in a couple of days
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
i noticed the gargling noise lastnite when applying petrolium jelly to his comb
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
my other rooster was several weeks ago, but no longer
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
very minor signs of frostbite on the tips of his comb
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
n/a
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
layer crumbles/gamebird mix, BOSS, alphalfa cubes soaked in warm water & fresh water w/electrolytes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
on Dec 24: Wazine-17 & on Jan 4: Ivomec pour
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
will treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
n/a
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
dry w/plenty of ventilation(8in. x 12ft. vent across the front and back of coop & 2 windows partially open)
kiln dried pine shavings

back in the end of december i treated my entire flock w/Wazine and then later treated w/Ivomec. at the time my LS roo was breathing with his mouth open and a gargling sound could be heard. he's fine now, crowing like a champ! but now, almost 2 weeks after giving them the Ivomec my RIR rooster is displaying the same symptoms, mouth open and gargling and no crowing. could i retreat him again with the Ivomec or is it too soon? or is there something else i should try?

thanx...

I think I would try treating him with the Ivermectin again. Is it possible that he got missed or just didn't get a big enough dose the first time through? gargling isn't a good sign.

i know i treated him but you bring up a good point, maybe the dose wasn't enough.......
i have all large fowl and i gave them all 5 drops.
maybe i should have given my 2 roosters a few extra drops since they are rather large.
is it safe to reapply the Ivermectin as soon as today or should i wait a few more days?
i just heard him crowing and it sound like he has Laryngitis.
the RIR has the same exact symptoms that the LS had and hopefuly he pulls thru like my LS did,...
fl.gif

I could be WAY off base here, but this sounds respiratory.
There have been SO MANY cases of respiratory illness this winter in poultry, it is unreal.
Any discharge from the eyes or nose?
As I said, due to the fact that he sounds like he has laryngitis, I suspect something besides worms.

as far as i can tell there is no discharge, his nostrils seem dry & clear.
i 'd imagine that it would look like a runny nose? would it be clear fluid or mucousy?
if in fact it is respiratory, is there a type of antibiotic i can use?

Last edited:
It could be either clear and thin or thick and mucosy.
You can treat with antibiotics, if, in fact it's respiratory.
Tylan injectable works really well or, barring that, Terramyacin or Duramyacin water soluble-you can usually get either of them at a feed store.
I hope it isn't respiratory, hard to tell at this point. These birds are pretty amazing-show no signs of anything until they are really sick.

Don't retreat with Ivermec! I had a very similar prob, it can take up to 14 days for the symptoms to go away. Their systems are very irritated by parasites and worms, so just let it be. My avian vet said absolutely not to redose with ivermec. Its extremely effective, and very very hard on their systems.
You could have a resp issue instead and Ivermec just makes their systems more stressed. I know you must be trying to do anything you can to help them. Mine ended up be a resp. infection, but because I was treating for worms and not that it was too late for her.
Symptoms for chickens are very much alike in many situations, so its very difficult to figure out whats going on. I wish you the best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom