Suspicious chicken poo: Is this a worm, intestinal sloughing or what, pls?

NFable Birds

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2023
For two days in a row, my 7m old cockerel has had this stringy, pinky/red thing in his morning droppings tray. It’s 8-10 inches long when stretched out and is distinctly different than his normal poo, which are also in the tray. Please can you tell me what the pinky/red thing is? It doesn’t look like the worms in my chicken health reference books by Gail Damerow?

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Black Australorp, 7 months, weight unknown but seems good
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Fine, but suspicious & unusual stringy stuff in poo from overnight droppings tray.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 days that I’ve noticed
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown, but it’s Dec & rainy here in British Columbia. Run is covered, but can get wet at edges
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chatterbox layer feed, plain water. Happy Hen treats (black sunflower seeds, meal worms, cracked corn, etc) and soldier fly larvae. Recently also had leftover lettuce, carrot tops.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Mostly normal, but with some “stringy” bits for last couple days (one long stringy bit per night).
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Self-treat
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Will try to post pic from dropping tray & a pic of the cockerel for reference/beauty.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Will try to post pic as well of coop & run.

Thank you for helping/ advising! IMG_0141.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpeg
    IMG_1458.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
For two days in a row, my 7m old cockerel has had this stringy, pinky/red thing in his morning droppings tray. It’s 8-10 inches long when stretched out and is distinctly different than his normal poo, which are also in the tray.

Chatterbox layer feed, plain water. Happy Hen treats (black sunflower seeds, meal worms, cracked corn, etc) and soldier fly larvae. Recently also had leftover lettuce, carrot tops.
I'd wait to see if you see the intestinal shedding for a 3rd day. If you do, then get a fecal float to check for worms.

You are in BC so may have to go through a vet to find a dewormer, but you can looks for Fenbendazole (Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or Equine Paste) which is a good dewormer to use. Albendazole (Valbazen) is another.

That's a lot of treats, I'd go easy on them, I'm sure he doesn't get all of that in one day though. :)

That's a lot of treats, I'd go easy on them, I'm sure he doesn't get all of that in one day though.
Yes, that’s right. He gets a selection from among those types of treats over the course of a week. ;)

***Thank you very much for your mention of intestinal shedding & float tests. I’ve not had a float test done before, so I’ll have to see who does that nearby me in BC.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom