A sure-fire cure to all respiratory illness in chickens

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
I know some of you know about this amazing cure. But for those of you who are not among the older members of BYC, I'll clue you in: it has a wooden handle and on one side of that handle is a rather heavy piece of metal which is very sharp along one edge. It is administered by swinging it like a hammer............

Your vet bill--if you have the money to do such--will get you loads of healthy babies............
Your bill for antibiotics and syringes will get you maybe 8 healthy babies.............
And your remaining flock members will still be nice and healthy..................

Last edited:
I believe what the OP is trying to say is not to treat respiratory illness, period. I happen to agree with that due to the carrier status of supposedly recovered birds, setting up a cycle of disease in your flock. Most old time chicken keepers and breeders subscribe to that opinion as well.

Agree, jmc. Fortunately, I've never had any respiratory illnesses and I don't plan on having them in the future. I'd hate to have to do it, but if one should show up the flocks are culled. Harsh, but effective. No point in perpetuating and spreading diseases.

Whatever your feelings on this, it would be pretty sad for someone who is new, terrified that their favorite little hen that sits on their lap every day is sick, comes here for help and sees the title of this thread only to read to whack their heads off.
Perhaps I'm getting mushy in my old age, but just the wording on this seems pretty harsh-reality or not.
sad.png

Quote:
Though, when hard pressed, I have to agree with JMC's overall message...however I'm with easttx on this, not exactly the best way to communicate it.

ETA: And agreed, I'm also probably getting mushy in my old age, in more ways then one..
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
exactly. And.........Yes, I intentionally used a 'literary genre' to make the point more clearly. Again, yes, that is the old time medicine (and NOT so old time!!!) for dealing with more than one chx. illness.

As the saying went, "Better not name your horse, cuz ya might hafta eat 'im!"

I too am mushy, believe it or not...........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom