Making use of the old Quail Coop for chicken?

feather and mountain man

Corn fed Indiana farmgirl
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
We have an old quail coop that has been used for storage for the last 8yrs. I would like to make use of this building for my chickens next year.

So my concerns are is there any danger of disease being left over from the quail after 8 yrs?

Plus their is quite a lot of mold/mildew from the chicken wire being covered with plastic. How can I get rid of mold and will this harm my hens?

Plus we need to work on making sure there is better drainage of run off water. We are reworking the ditch to direct the runoff water away from the building. But I was wanting to know if I could use peagravel instead of wood shavings for litter?
hu.gif

From a disease standpoint, there would be more of a problem going from chickens to quail than the other way around. Chickens carry diseases that quail don't have any immunity to. I'd just give it a good clean and have at it!

Ok I how this gives you all an idea of what I am working with.

Please keep in mind this is where we are storing un-needed items. Kinda messy:oops:
47307_pets_and_building_005.jpg

not rotted or anything structurally wrong
47307_pets_and_building_009.jpg

mold on the ground
47307_pets_and_building_017.jpg

shelving on back and side wall
47307_pets_and_building_027.jpg

Last edited:
Once you get the drainage issue sorted, I think that will make a great space for your chickens. From what I can tell, you'll need to add roosting poles, and I would definitely try to get rid of the mold. Are you going to build a fenced run around the coop, so your birds will have outdoor space?

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom