New Coop/Run Build Day 1 Progress!!!

Bock-Bock-Bagock

Chirping
Oct 6, 2023
Central Tennessee
Got a lot of work done today prepping the new coop/run site. There was several decades of leaf on the ground. This part of the property was used as a dump and burn site. I'm digging up tons of old household items, broken glass, cans, bottles, etc.
Because of this I have decided I can't use the original ground for the coop/run. So I am building a base that will be filled with rocks and covered in crusher run. Then the coop and run will be built on top of that with 2 6"x6" posts stacked to give the ladies a foot of new (safe) dirt. This will prevent any predators from digging under too.
It took all day just to clear the leaves and get the layout going. There was an old cinder block building there. Unsure what it was originally used for. But it was filled with 1950's carpet. Had to remove all that and take the building down to the first run of blocks. The coop will go on top of that. Of course I have to get it filled with crusher run too. I will do the same with the run where I stack 2 6x6 posts to create a safe floor.
Doesn't look like much now, but in time I will have these girls a whole new run built out.
One thing I found interesting is this rock I found with some markings. It was surrounded by more rocks forming a square. Not sure what that is.
I'm also open to opinions on drainage. I plan on having the run and coop covered so no water gets in. But for what water does I want to have it drain. We do get sideways rain from time to time.

Attachments

• PXL_20240318_182049270.jpg
    PXL_20240318_182049270.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20240321_185539763.jpg
    PXL_20240321_185539763.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240321_211830574.jpg
    PXL_20240321_211830574.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240321_191451502.jpg
    PXL_20240321_191451502.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240321_200049335.jpg
    PXL_20240321_200049335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20240321_211935086.jpg
    PXL_20240321_211935086.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20240321_212211865.jpg
    PXL_20240321_212211865.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
How exciting!

As you build this, take lots of pictures and when all done you can post it with explanations in our coop forum.

When you say drainage, you've got them on a hill, so not sure what you mean. We use pea gravel under and around our coop. You could try plant grass but even if it will grow, the chickens would mow it down pretty fast.

How exciting!

As you build this, take lots of pictures and when all done you can post it with explanations in our coop forum.

When you say drainage, you've got them on a hill, so not sure what you mean. We use pea gravel under and around our coop. You could try plant grass but even if it will grow, the chickens would mow it down pretty fast.
Plan on taking photos as I progress for sure. I was considering a trench drain to make sure water gets out from the run area. But being on a hill and having larger rocks as a base should be good. Also the run and coop will have a roof, diverting rain away. I guess I was over thinking and over engineering the area.

You can't over engineer when it comes to drainage.
You won't truly know until it's built and the rains comes. Im also on a slope. I've added ditches, dams, drains, roofs and gutters in the battle of the boot sucking mud. I won.
Had a few rains since I cleared it out and the water seems to be draining excellent. We will see in the coming weeks when I have boards and rock on the ground.

My ladies have decided they wanted a basement under their coop so I'm getting a seepage issue as it's below grade.
You may want to go ahead and put in a french drain while its open and the ladies are not trying to help.
They have funny way of dirt moving that will give you a problem you didn't have before.
I assumed they wouldn't dig into the crusher run. Too rough on their feet. The way am doing it is using the 2x6 boards to build a base out of rocks, then cover that with a layer of crusher run. That will be the entire base for the coop and run. Then I was thinking of running a border of either 4x4 or 6x6 stacked two high. The frame for the coop and run would sit on that. Then I would fill the border area with undied wood chips. Figured that would give them several inches to dig before hitting crusher run.
Also figured in summer they might dig down to the crusher run and that would provide some cooling off. Currently the ground on this property is almost all clay and rocks. Once they get to that they tend not to dig as it is. So I assumed hitting the crusher run they would stop digging there.
I'm also unsure of how well crusher run drains. I'm sure better than dirt, but not as good as gravel. Having the layer of large rocks on the bottom should allow for maximum drainage. I think...

I'm also unsure of how well crusher run drains.
If you dig a hole in dense soil that doesn't drain, then fill it with gravel or crusher run(also a kind of gravel), it might drain water running to the area but it still won't drain into the dense soil beynd it.
Gravel of any kind can hold poop and water to form a noxious brew.

If you dig a hole in dense soil that doesn't drain, then fill it with gravel or crusher run(also a kind of gravel), it might drain water running to the area but it still won't drain into the dense soil beynd it.
Gravel of any kind can hold poop and water to form a noxious brew.
Once I get the run all built out it will be covered. I'm hoping to mitigate 99% of the rain on the spot. My current run is almost completely dry, even during the worst rain storm. Would you say the mix of water and poop building up underneath being the problem? I would imagine keeping it dry and mixing the substrate occasionally would mitigate this issue?

Back
Top Bottom