Rust??

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
I brood my chicks in metal horse troughs, and today while hosing one out and preparing it for use this spring, I noticed a red, crusty film covering the bottom of the tub....Rust. So my question is can rust hurt chickens? If they scratch it up or cut themselves and step on it? I know we get tetanis (spelling??) shots if we get an open cut and then come into contact with rust, but what about chickens?? I really don't wanna have to throw this trough out, but I don't want my chicks getting sick and dying, either.

* Think you can sand it off or is it too late for that? Naval jelly, maybe? Epoxy porch/floor paint might work, too. The problem with rust is that, besides the chance of it being sharp or flakey, it's basically iron and in eating it, along with the injury risk-- they could o.d. on iron. Especially chicks, I imagine. (Oh, and the galvanizing zinc ain't great either, darn it.)

Last edited:
It's a thin layer of rust, but it's too late to get it off. I don't know when it rusted though, cause I was using it all winter!! Oh, well, so much for galvinized (spelling) tubs!!

I replied on one of your several other duplicates of this thread (PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT).

Summary: rust does not cause tetanus. However rust can be rough and damage feet. Sand and paint with rustoleum or epoxy paint, then continue using as brooder.

DO NOT DOUBLE POST please

thanks,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom