2wk old Salmon Faverolle chicks, is one a roo???

pixiedouglas

Songster
Oct 19, 2010
California Central Coast
Picked these up today. They were sold to me as Salmon Faverolle Pullets. Seller promised to replace any roosters. Got to looking at them this evening and I'm thinking one is a rooster? One has darker wings than the other. Faverolle experts help please!!!! Should we just wait and see? Maybe this is a normal variation?

HEGtR.jpg

Quote:
Pullet on left, roo on right, and they do appear to be pure faverolles
big_smile.png

Eep! I would love to breed these, I'm so in love with this breed. But we hadn't planned to keep any roosters and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate the crowing. The seller said they'd been sexed. I was SO irritated with myself last night when I got home and really looked at them. I should have paid more attention when I got the box, but I was all fussed about getting them home and under a light before they got cold. When I look at them side by side they just look so different. He did promise to replace any roosters, should I call him right away and give it a week to be sure? I'm so fussed over what to do I was in a mood all night and before I was so excited to get these chicks! I thought I was going to have to wait for the next round of chicks years from now to add some to our flock.

The lighter colored one is a total doll. They're both about a week older than our other chicks and the younger chicks walk all over her and then snuggle up and go to sleep. The one with the darker wings is a little more standoffish and has no tail feathers yet compared to her. Also that one SHRIEKS when I handle it, the beige one, not as much. Is the personality difference all in my head?

I know some of my other pullets might turn out to be roosters, so I did have a plan for that. I'm just concerned with this one because if I'm going to have him switch it for another bird I'd rather do it sooner rather than later as I'm trying to well socialize all my chicks and I know in a mixed flock Faverolles can be low on the pecking order due to their sweet nature and I don't want to introduce a hen later only to have her picked on excessively.

Quote:
so your vote is roo too then? PHOOEY! :p It's ok I'd rather know, because I'd just ask him to replace with a pullet.

I've been pouring over every Salmon Faverolle thread I can find. Could she possibly just have poor color? I saw a few people with posts/pictures of Faverolle hens they thought for sure were a rooster, but just turned out to have very dark coloring. The one I'm sure is a pullet already has beige shoulder and tail feathers. The one with the darker wings has neither, but I thought I read several posts where at 2 wks roosters should be showing black shoulders and chests. The wings aren't exactly black, more like chocolate. If her color is poor I wouldn't care, I'd still keep her.

Quote:
Perfect examples
thumbsup.gif

I would contact the breeder and request a replacement since he/she offered to do so. If they wish not or dont, then I'm sure you can find a good home for your little boy.
Also, yes, the personalities of roo and pullet differ slightly, as you stated yourself...pullet is sweet and mild natured, lil boy is a bit more stand-offish. I find this is true from birth, and yes they are sexable withing a few days of birth as CFF stated
wink.png
I love my bantams Favs...they are a wonderful breed and very, very sweet little birds.

I'm glad it's not all in my head! Her behavior and her wings are so different from his. I noticed yesterday his black shoulders are coming in and now there's a tuft of black feather on his chest! I called the breeder and left a message with my concerns and asked to arrange to trade for another pullet. The pullet is perfect, everything I imagined. She's really feathering out now and just sweet as could be with the younger chicks. It's too bad, if I was going to keep a rooster, I'd want a Faverolle they are so pretty!

Thank you everyone for your help I really appreciate it. Being totally new to this, I wouldn't have had the confidence to question the breeder without you all.

Back
Top Bottom