What is this bulge?? Pics

Tropical Chickies

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Central Florida
I originally thought my hen was eggbound because she had been going into the nesting box for the last week and a half and hadn't laid an egg. I p tried to see if I could feel an egg inside her, but no such luck. I separated her on Saturday from the rest of the flock and noticed her crate didn't have any poop in it, so she isn't pooping in it. She will eat and drink a little. I have put her in a warm soak bath a couple of times and nothing has happened. Some poop did manage to come out when I was checking for an impacted egg. Do you think she is eggbound? The bulge has slight bubbles on it. The darker pic was from last night and the picture taken this afternoon (much lighter) doesn't look as red to me. The pictures taken last night looks like the bulge is pretty red, whereas today, the bulge looks more yellow.

Help!!

PIC TAKEN LAST NIGHT
14389_028.jpg

PIC TAKEN LAST NIGHT
14389_029.jpg

PIC TAKEN TODAY
14389_pic_1.jpg

PIC TAKEN TODAY
14389_pic_2.jpg

I usually avoid this part of the forum, but I cannot resist this post, especially since no-one has chimed in.
Now, I am just going to tell you what I do (assuming you dont want to euthanize it, because that is what I would do)
I would put it in a nice DRY cage with pine shavings. In a room with dry air and comfortable air conditions.
I would cut all the feathers around the area. It looks like it could be an Abscess, caused by bacteria or it could be a wound or even an infestation of some kind.
Once the feathers are cut, I would wash it out thoroughly, you may be able to find something in it. I would put petroleum jelly in it for now, I think Petroleum jelly works SO GOOD on chickens. And it will help keep dirt and bacteria out and speed up healing.

Goodluck !
Mark

I would suggest an Epsom Salt bath/soak and Neosporin to the icky areas. I would give yogurt too. Has she been dewormed lately?

She definitely looks sore! Having just been through an egg-bound hen that I managed to resolve successfully, yours looks like she might have struggled with an egg and won. However, now she's a bit sore. She might just need a day or two with some Preparation H and some TLC for the area to calm down. I have a dog crate that I use in the house with towels. I also fed scrambled eggs and yogurt in addition to her regular feed to bump up her protein (my thought was to encourage her immune system). Good luck!

Quote:
Great idea with the epsom salt, that stuff cures all, hehe! I am giving her ivermectin right now, all of my chickens are getting it. Will get some yogurt for her tomorrow. I think she likes all the attention and goodies.

Quote:
I did find an egg yolk with a soft shell in the coop a while back, which I am tracing to her. The poor thing wants to lay an egg, but hasn't had any success. She seemed really backed up with poo. When I did the ole' finger poke (poor little lady) a very loose stool came oozing out. I was hoping I would be able to dig whatever it is causing the bulge out of her. I will try giving her immune system a boost as suggested along with an epsom salt soak. I have cut most of her rear feathers off, so I can easily apply an ointment to the area.

Thanks so much for chiming in!

She looks like she has an abcess to me. There is more than just "she had a hard time laying" or "she is backed up" going on there. Maybe give her some epsom salts to drink or give her a flush of it if you think she is backed up. I think it has got to be something more than just that though. What does it feel like? Can you feel a lump or is it soft. I would isolate and do all that is mentioned but also monitor the eggs situation. Maybe an egg broke in her or something of that nature if she doesn't have an abcess.

Back
Top Bottom