What is this bulge?? Pics

Quote:
Mark, I cut pretty much all of her rear end feathers off. What did you mean by putting petroleum jelly in it? There isn't an opening on the bulge. The only opening is the vent. She does have lots of left over jelly on her vent and surrounding area from me earlier (I thought I would try to see if I would be able to pull out remnants of the bulge).

She is in a dry cage with clean pine shavings, water with worming solution added to it and feed. She is eating treats well, but crumbles not so much. As suggested by fellow BYC members, I will try to boost her immune system with yogurts and eggs.

Quote:
The bulge is soft. I originally thought I could see yolk through her skin as if an egg burst inside of her. But, today I am not certain that is the case. It is just really strange to me and can't make any sense of it. The area looked really red yesterday, but today it has gone down in size with less redness, but there were bubbles on it.

Just A Note....i Looked At The Pics Again That I Took Today And Wanted To Share That The Gooky Stuff On Her Rear End/bulge Is In Fact Vaseline, Not Some Oozing Sore.

Thought I Should Clarify Since It Is A Bit Misleading!!

I took her a treat this morning before I left and she was looking about the same. Still hasn't passed anything. Her crate was clean as a whistle. She is drinking and eating. I will let her out when I get home this afternoon. She has no problem scratching around doing normal chicken things. Acts like it doesn't bother her. Who knows!!

Will try the epsom salt soak later.

I really don't know what that is. It wouldn't be yolk because I doubt you'd see that through the skin--I never did with all my hens who died from internal laying. Could be an abcess like others have said. I wish I could be more help with this one, sorry.

Is the swelling at her vent? My girl had a very mild prolapse after her episode that sounds very much like what you are describing. The tissue that was hanging out was yellow in places and pink. Preparation H (inside and out) put her back to right overnight. But she was also pooping up a storm so we differ there.

Quote:
Her vent is normal. It is just a strange bulge about 4 inches below. She won't poop in the crate, but will when she is out (although it hasn't been much of anything). This may sound silly, but I tried an enema yesterday thinking that she was constipated. Because when I put my finger in her vent to try and scoop contents of the bulge lots of loose stool came out.

I wouldn't worry about her not pooping in the crate. She's obviously a good house keeper! Mine would have preferred not to poop in the crate. I've attached a picture of what Julia's prolapse looked like. Easy to see with her bare feather-picked bottom. (The purple streak on the left is the residual Blu-Kote that I used to deal with the feather picking.)

38460_img_4964.jpg

I really would be inclined to try Prep H on your hen too. Your hen's bulge might be related excessive egg laying effort. It sure worked quickly on my girl. All that tissue hanging out was back inside by morning. Just moderate swelling left the next morning and it still looked irritated as the dickens but it was dramatically improved. No sign of it a couple of days later.

Back
Top Bottom