Should Stella be grounded?

Should Stella move to the fenced and covered run with the layers?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
Short history: Stella, my Icelandic/EE cross jumped the fence at our last residence and joined our flock. She has been with us nearly two years. The girl won't stay home. She free ranges with the Icelandics and is the only one who roams. Her wings are clipped but she still gets over the fences. I could take her from the Icelandic free range and put her back in with the layers in a covered run for her own safety. She's a free spirit, a gypsy and I'm not sure she'll take well to confinement. Please review these pictures of Stella taken yesterday & today and help me decide of she needs grounded.

34566_stella_copy.jpg

34566_ground-1.jpg

34566_ground-1-4.jpg

34566_ground-1-3.jpg

LMAO! I love the picture of her with the bindle stick
lol.png

As for an answer, I guess it depends...

You said your worried about her safety - if she wanders enough to get lost, hurt, or preyed on then yes, ground her, but if she just hangs out and free ranges without getting in heaps of trouble, then I don't see why she couldn't stay out.

My "gang" has a coop with attached fenced in run. I do like to let them roam and free rang a bit on my property and never had any problems with them being out. The only reasons why I do have a coop/run are:

- living in NY, our winters are horrible (the weather is general changes in the blink of an eye) so they have a nice insulated shelter with heat lamp (if necessary)
- gives them a place to lay eggs where I can easily find and get access to them
- we do live on a large rural property surrounded by fields and we do get many predators that snoop around, so for protection.

Like I said, if you live in a pretty "safe" area, I'm sure she'll be fine out especially if you have other free ranging birds.

Kat's Silly Chickens :

If she's not being a nuisance to your chickens or you. Let her come and visit.

She's not a visitor, she moved in with us, uninvited two years ago. She moved with us to this property in the back of a U-Haul truck last August! It's the neighbors she visiting!
gig.gif

Quote:
Well here she is visiting a neighbor across the road. In Stella's defense, at the time this picture was taken Happy Chooks was here sexing chickens and she might have panicked!
gig.gif

34566_ground-1-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i say ground her, what if she catches something and then gets your entire flock sick? or clip her wings so she wont fly over and stay within your property.

Back
Top Bottom