Can I keep a few turkeys with my small flock of chickens?

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
14 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Lately, I've been really wanting a few turkeys, just two at the most. Anyhow, I've heard you can't keep chickens and turkeys together due to blackhead disease....But then a farmer friend of mine says it's no problem......

I surely don't want to get a turkey, just to watch it pass away from a disease, and also, I want to make sure I have the proper facilities for a turkey, to keep it happy and healthy.

Also, would they get along (chickens and turkeys)? Would the bigger turkeys attack the chickens? I just don't want any fighting or drama.....

What do you all recommend?

Well it certainly is possible to spread blackhead. I have never had a blackhead problem and I have been having my turkeys and chickens together for many years. My turkeys and chickens live together and there are minimal problems. Nothing big. The turkey hens may pick on a rooster or 2 every now and then but then again, the roosters need to be tamed from time to time. My Tom has never ever attacked anyone. If someone pics on him (roosters), he will get in their face and tell them a word or 2 but nothing major.

Some people separate their chickens from their turkeys and other have them all together. It's really just individual choices. I enjoy having them all together.

we have our turks & chicks together too. Just 9 weeks old and no problems so far. they were together since they were born. finally got our rooster today (born yesterday)and more worried about introducing him in 4 or 5 weeks.

Blackhead has to be present for them to get it... is your farmer friend local and raise both? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then you might not have it in your area.

The biggest problem with having them together otherwise is during breeding season if a tom decides to mate with chicken hens... that can end very badly for the hen.

One word of warning, though... turkeys can be highly addictive. Their personalities and curious nature... so you can't say we didn't tell you!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom