Please help. Bumblefoot surgery did I do it right? :PIC:

maralynn28

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Corpus Christi, TX
My duck has been acting strange, I thought it might be due to changes around home (new ducks to flock, drakes, etc) but my daughter pointed out to me that she has a large swollen part on her foot. I read all about bumblefoot and that's what it looks like to me, but there is no "scab" to come off after soaking. Her scab of her scratch on her foot came off after the soaking, but it was healed beneath. I was going to try to make a cut to drain her foot anyway (red scratch on foot) but all I saw was blood. It seems I would have to cut really deep and wide to clean out the wound but before I do this...I really want to be sure this is bumblefoot. Any ideas? I am so appreciative of your help! Thanks!
50300_258003_10150209530751588_719606587_7069832_249538_o.jpg

LARGE swelling, no scab. The swelling is rather hard.

Last edited:
yes, that looks like it...There are alot of threads on here that show you how to take care of that ans actual surgery--do some research in the "search" section above....

Thanks, but I've done that. I didnt create this post until about 3hrs into research, and on hr 2 this am alone. Found a lot, but nothing that says what to do if there's no scab. How do I know where to cut to find the plug? How deep do I need to go? I really want to take care of my girl, she's my cuddly sweetie, my survivor ( rest of her original flock taken out by predators). If I had a scab to go off of then the great posts and photos would have been all I needed. I just don't know where to start since I don't see an opening in her foot.
hmm.png

Quote:
Make a small incision in the center of the swollen area, dont go deep, just enough to break through the skin so you can squeeze the infection out. Soak her foot in warm epsom salts water first for about 15-20 minutes to soften the skin before you make the cut, soak again after removing the infection to draw up any more pus, squeeze again. Then flush the wound with diluted iodine or betadine, pack it with neosporin and wrap it up. Check it again in 2 days.

So just a small incision in the center? That's what we tried, almost inch long, but nothing but blood came out. I figured we're doing it wrong, there's obviously something in there. I thought I'd ask you all. The incision we made last night has healed over already too so I guess we just keep reopening it to put antibiotics in there? I saw all the great photos of what the 'core' should look like, but we couldn't even see inside the wound.
sad.png

Thanks again!!

So bit the bullet and tried cutting out the mass. Really nervous about it, I hope I didn't injure her further. Anyway, I tried doing a small incision but we couldn't see anything and she only bled, so we made it larger and saw the stuff described. We got as much of it as we could until we saw only fleshy looking material but there is still some white stuff around the sides. Is this normal or does it need to be removed also. We put peroxide, iodine, etc on the wound wrapped it in gauze and put a baby sock on her foot. She's kenneled inside.
Please tell me if this looks right and I don't have to do more/ I didn't hurt her more?
Thanks.
50300_img_20110622_133710.jpg

50300_img_20110622_133726.jpg

Last edited:
If the white stuff along the sides is the same color as the infection you removed, you'll have to remove it. In addition to the iodine, pack the hole with neosporin ointment, gauze it, then wrap it up, it'll heal quicker. Otherwise it looks like you did an excellent job!

Back
Top Bottom