worming instructions needed, please

spell

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
So, we have worms....
I have wormed before based on the info here but, I have forgotten and can not find the dosage info.
I have Wazine17 and Ivermectin pour on for cattle (5mg per mL).

Wazine 1st according to directions. (
roll.png
just read to worm every 30 days to break round worm cycle. really?)

Then Ivermectin in 10 days.

Am I correct? What is the Ivermectin dosage? Should I drop on the Ivermectin or can it be added to their water?

I have 5 hens and 1 rooster. Assorted breeds/mutts.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like you've got a good list of links. Do not put the pour on into their water, put it on their skin.

Quote:
thanks! How do you save them in 1 place? I thought I had done that but, I can't seem to find them.

I have windows Internet explorer, so it may be different for other browsers.
I put them on favorites. (right below the back button on the upper left you should see a star with favorites, below that, a star with a plus button. While you have this thread up, click on the star and plus button.
I would just rename the thread to something I would remember like: POO and WORMS
you get a darling little chick to mark it with, then I make a file BYC or CHICKENS and then I slip the thread into the file. I have saved so many different things, from canning to soap making on byc, that I have files in my files. This is such a useful site.
I rarely google much any more, I just come here.
I hope this helps. I am not very computer savvy. I got into computers past the learning age when my mind was plastic. Now it's like chipping into stone.

Quote:
hee hee! me too!

i do have some things in favorites...i thought you were talking about saving them on your BYC page (that's why i asked).

SAFEGAURD? many of the links you shared seemed to prefer the Safegaurd. Is that readily available at the feed store?
I bought the Ivermectin b/c that was what my store had available. (no TSC here).

Is Safegaurd better/preferred/cheaper? My Ivermectin has never been opened......

Quote:
hee hee! me too!

i do have some things in favorites...i thought you were talking about saving them on your BYC page (that's why i asked).

SAFEGAURD? many of the links you shared seemed to prefer the Safegaurd. Is that readily available at the feed store?
I bought the Ivermectin b/c that was what my store had available. (no TSC here).

Is Safegaurd better/preferred/cheaper? My Ivermectin has never been opened......

I prefer valbazen or safeguard over ivermectin any day of the week. There are 2 safeguard products you can use to worm your chickens. Safeguard equine paste, found in the horse section in the feed store. Dosage for each chicken is a "pea" size amount given to each chicken. It's best to seperate your chickens, then put a pea size amount of the paste on a small piece of bread and give a piece to your chickens one at a time. If you dont, they will try to steal each others piece of bread, then you'll never know which ones got properly wormed. Redose them in 10 days. You can also use safeguard liquid goat wormer. You can use a syringe without a needle, it is given orally. Dosage is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Repeat dosage in 10 days. There is a grand total of 24 days withdrawal.
The safeguard paste costs about $10-$12 and the liquid goat wormer 125ml bottle is about $15-$16. Consider valbazen as well, it kills all known worms that chickens can get including tapeworms.
If your feed store doesnt carry either product, you can order either from Jefferslivestock.com or call them.

Last edited:
thanks, dawg!

is there a reason for your preference?

just to clarify....always wazine 1st?

Quote:
I stopped using wazine. Valbazen (albendazole) is the best. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic worm overload. Valbazen kills all types of worms. Safeguard (fenbendazole) is a good wormer too, but wont kill tapeworms. Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. There is no guarantee that chickens will drink the treated wazine water or drink enough of it to be effective. There has been instances of roundworm resistance to certain ivermectin products. I stopped using it a long time ago, but it's still good for treating lice/mite infestations...but I'd rather use sevin dust due to the 14 day withdrawal with ivermectin.

Quote:
I stopped using wazine. Valbazen (albendazole) is the best. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic worm overload. Valbazen kills all types of worms.

so... if you use the valbazen, you do NOT need a pre-wormer?
what is the withdrawl time?

Back
Top Bottom