EMERGENCY!! Gosling FULL OF WATER!?!

ellenmartin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
It's hot here and the parents have been on the pond with the goslings (6 weeks or so mostly feathered out and getting big) and one of the goslings keeps sitting down when they walk. Others graze and she goes and then sits. I noticed when she dips her head to pick at some grass water dribbles out of her mouth. She holds her head up and drinks it back I guess and then she sits down.

Is she waterlogged?!?! Did she drink too much in the pond or is it something else? Her neck area look ok but a little fuller than the others in what would be the crop area on a chicken. not much if even noticable.

They have been eating figs from under the fig tree.... some are pretty mushy and super ripe! Also, when she pooped a while ago it looked like it was just clear water.

Anyone seen or have an idea what this could be?? When they went back on the pond a minute ago everyone drank and she did a little but not much and just swammmmm along.

Quote:
I don't know much about geese at all, but could you have drunk geese? Fruit sitting on the ground in the sun can ferment, and animals can literally get drunk off them! I've seen deer who couldn't stand in my yard after feasting on fallen apples after they'd been stewing in the sun a few days.

It could be is her throat looking kinda swolen ?
As long as it doesnt start showing like neck or spasm issues it shouldnt be critical
smile.png

When its been hot here our geese to drool, or when i pick them up and they look at the ground they drool, idk if its normal but mine do it!

IDK if it's drool or if it's just a lot of water coming back up and out her mouth - it happens when she drops her head.

Going to scrape up all fig crap under tree now - don't like that idea either.

Do geese drink too much or get impacted crops like chickens? Looks like the water comes back up when she drops her head.

I havent really seen chickens waterlog as to say but geese are like ducks. They are waterfowl and have seen this on really hot days. Not sure birds get drunk from over ripe fruit but guess its possible lol

IDK on the fruit thing but just got in from raking up all figs on ground under tree---- most were dried and candied but some were still mushy - these are big bananna figs about the size of golf ball. The parents pick off tree and one bite nad that's about it (wasteful!) and the goslings pick up the parts on the ground so IDK.

Maybe it's just soooo hot. They've been on pond most of the day so I'll watch her. It's definitely happening whatever it is. The others aren't doing it - they are head down grazing through the yard - she sits and picks at grass and when she stands up and drops her head water dribbles out (not like drool) and she immediately lifts her head and swallows kinda of like it is so full in there when she lowered her head some drained up and out.

Hope she can't asperate or have a problem being so waterlogged. It's really scary to watch. When chickens get like this they sometimes get it in their lungs and asperate and die. YIKES!!

Surely someone has had this happen or seen it happen huh?

Yikes, no clue what it is, but just wanted to say I hope everything turns out ok. Poor thing.

Thanks - keeping very close eye on her right now.

This Texas weather isn't for geese apparently...

My goose sometimes dropped water when he was a gosling. It seems it mostly happened when his stomach was full - then, when he drank, the water seemed to stay in his neck and when he lowered his head, it would run out.

He also did it if I picked him up right after he'd been drinking. And sometimes the water would be mixed with his feed, yikes!

I don't think it's dangerous at all. Just a gosling trying to eat and drink more than there's room for on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom