Best PVC Homemade Feeder, Super Easy!

Schwartzfarmnc

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
West Jefferson
Okay, I've made many styles of feeders and by far this is the simplist and easiest I have ever made.

Materials: Plastic gutter (10ft) from Lowe's Hardware $5.69
3 inch PVC lengths of your choice, ours are about 2.5 ft up to 4 ft and use as many as you like, ours came from our local Habitat for Humanity and only cost us $1 per tube.
PVC caps if desired, we opted for them but they are not required
Plastic gutter end caps $1.81 per

I cut the gutter to fit on the space we had available which ended up being 6ft and used 4 tubes spread out withing the gutter. I glued the end caps to the gutter with Liquid Nails. I attached the gutter with screws to the wall at the height of the birds backs.

Why did I make this type of feeder?
1) It attaches to the wall, no more feeders out in the open, makes great use of space.
2) ZERO waste, which everyone complains about with most PVC feeders, the gutter is about 3 inches deep and the birds cannot scratch out nor can they rake the feed out with their beaks, so no waste, and they know where the feed comes out and will spread along the entire gutter for you.
3) I can feed 12 birds at one time
4) I have a undersized EE that can now eat with the big girls, I added a small stepping stone.
5) Cheap, I've got less than $12 in it and still have enough left to make another 4 ft feeder if needed.

Right now I'm using crumbles, I will be switching to pellets soon and will insert a screw about 1 inch above the bottom of the gutter so the tubes will rest at 1.5 inches to allow enough space for the pellets. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask, this is the absolute best feeder I've ever done!

58941_long_feeder_1.jpg

close up showing the height of the tube from the bottom of the gutter, allows enough space for the feed to dispurse.
58941_feeder_tube_close_up.jpg

58941_end_cap_long_feeder.jpg

58941_close_up_long_feeder.jpg

58941_finished_tube_feeders.jpg

Quote:
Your welcome! I had the idea when I found an old gutter in the shop and the light just went off! My other feeders worked good but this one eliminates all wasting which makes you go crazy!!

Just a "heads up" on the PVC gutter...I had a PVC gutter piece that I think I bought at Home Depot. The edge along the wall had a bit of a folded over flap to attach the hangers to. That flap caught on the combs of my breeds with large combs and caused some scraping and a bit of blood. The instant solution was to cover the overhanging sharp edge with some duct tape, and I just happened to have some white duct tape laying around. I love the gutter feeder and have only stopped using it right now because we are infested ...INFESTED...with mice right now. So I am feeding twice per day in the run instead of free feeding in the coop for now. But the gutter has been a great feeder for us.

Thank you! I'm going to do this.
But, I'm going to extend my tube right into my feed storage area so I can just fill it from the outside!
Right now I have to bend over to get into the coop and this will save my back!

Quote:
That would work also, there are so many options you can change to accommodate your own need, if I could have a seperate storage area I think I would do the same. If you fill the tubes full we can go over 2 weeks without refilling which is nice, and the girls seem to really like this feeder type better (Even though it makes them truly look like little pigs) all lined up at the trough.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom