How long for chick to hatch out of shell - 15 hours now humidity low?

sue3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
I have bantam eggs in our incubator. One chick hatched out yesterday afternoon and another egg I found starting to peck out about 4 yesterday. This chick has a pretty fair area opened up so that its head and part of body are showing but it has now been about 15 hours since it first started trying and the feathers are fluffy and dry and membrane too in that area. I am thinking that the humidity is too low for them? Should I try to help this fellow the rest of the way out. I am hesitant to open the incubator at this point though. The water wells are about 1/3 full yet and I did just put one of the top plugs back in to see if that may help. Any advice will be appreciated!

It can take them up to 24 hours from pip to zipping out....Your humidity is reading what?..It should increase as the chicks add humidity as they get out of the shells...

We did end up very carefully helping this chick hatch out after reading another post on how to do so. The membrane was dried on a good part of its body too, ( we carefully moistened this with water first before removing) so I don't think it would have been able to make it out on its own. We now have it back in the incubator to dry off and see how it will do. I am not quite sure on the humidity level as our humidity guage is not correct. I have now added more warm water to the wells too quickly when we had the cover off very fast. I have one and 1 and 1 /2 of the vent caps on now too. I am wondering how the other chicks in the shells are doing and hope that the extra moisture will help them. None have showed signs of pipping yet but were all looking viable when I candled them last a few days ago.

I birthed one of my chicks a BO. It's doing great now it was just too big to get out. I THREW A Wet sponge in when I reached in and greabbed the egg.Everyone else hattched fine. A wet maxi pad or sock works good too and I blew water in a vent hole with a straw.

I hope they all turn out good!
smile.png

It is about 7 hours after helping the chick out now and so far it seems strong and healthy. We will keep a close eye on it and hope for the best. None of the other eggs are showing signs of hatching out though. I am wondering if I should be concerned about them yet.

Has your incubation been uneventful? Any temp spikes? What humidity levels did you use? You need a hydrometer to measure humidity. The humidity is critical and can cause an entire hatch to fail. It really is more than just filling water wells in the incubator.

I hope you have more pip and hatch but sometimes all we get is 1 chick and there are times when we get 0. Don't let this get you down. Try again and learn from this hatch.

Please gives us more information on this hatch to be better able to help you.

We did have a temp. spike about 1/2 way through incubation to 105 degrees for a few hours. I did pull about 4 eggs about 5 days after that who appeared to have quit developing about then. I was trying the egg carton method for the first time and am guessing that the eggs that were up on a board closest to the heat coils and got the warmest were the ones that we lost then. I was also trying dry incubation on this batch too, as I had great success with it last year with turkey eggs. I did add some water about 2/3 of the way through the incubation though and then filled all the water wells for the last few days too. I pulled both of the plugs at that point ( had just one in before that ) as that is what the LG incubator recommended. I now fear that it was not humid enough though towards the end of incubation with them both out. My humidity guage was not working right though so I am unsure of actual humid level. I have had no moisture drops on the plastic windows though.

Back
Top Bottom