Keeping chickens in suburban Colorado

zoelovesmom

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hello!

I am new to chicken keeping, though I have wanted chickens for several years. My husband finally caved and bought my coop for my 40th birthday this year.
smile.png
Once we got the coop in late April, we were in a hurry to get chicks before chick season ended, so I learned as much as I could in a short amount of time. I got 2 chicks from a rural feed store, and 2 from a breeder. Thankfully they all turned out to be hens, as my HOA doesn't allow roosters.

No eggs yet, but I'm so in love with our flock:
Emily, our barred Plymouth Rock, top o' the peckin' order (13 wks)
Natalie, our large and second in charge light sussex (crossed with speckled sussex, but she looks light, 11 wks)
Martie, our Buff Orpington (13 wks)
and last but not least, Moneypenny, our shy black copper marans (11 wks)

I just love watching the ladies; it brings peace to my heart. We're also raising a baby girl, born at home in March, a boy (7), a big girl (11), a farm collie (7ish), and a white Persian kitty called Mr. Baby.

We live in the Denver suburb of Highlands Ranch, but we moved here a few years ago from central Austin, Texas, where many of my friends kept chickens. Grew up in Texas, really loving Colorado. Not missing the heat, though I do miss TexMex. Love the snow. I'm so glad Highlands Ranch allows us to keep 4 hens, though we did have to get the coop approved.

It is an adventure to keep chickens in the suburbs, and I'd love to meet other chicken folks in Highlands Ranch. I have converted one neighbor already!
wink.png
I have learned so much in these last few months, but there is so much more to learn. Love this community resource. I have been reading Storey's Guide, and it's really tough to pick through all the info aimed at much larger flocks. I look forward to learning from many of you.
smile.png

Welcome!! The boards are so addicting, and there is a wealth of information from experienced chicken owners
smile.png

Oh and I might be the neighbor she converted
wink.png
LOL

I hope all of your ladies are well!! We just took ours out to free range (with supervision of course) for the first time this evening - I think we timed it a little too late, because although they enjoyed pecking at the grass, they all couldn't wait to get back to the coop. We try again tomorrow!

Here are my girls in late June:

Natalie/LS, Moneypenny/BCM, Martie/BO, Emily/BR

And here's Moneypenny as a chick - the dog stuck her nose in right as I was about to snap:

A big Texas-sized
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
Come back to Texas! Or you could just visit us on the Texas Thread (see my siggy)

28464_temp_pic_file_080.jpg

Back
Top Bottom