Cleaned coop, can I put a mixture of sevin & DE on the floor?

M.sue

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Ok I cleaned out my new coop (approx. 8 wks. newly built) today because I found a couple of tiny maggots on my boots within the past week. Been reading alot about all kinds of pests and want to know if I can put a mixture of Sevin & DE on the floor. Reading too much and getting confused so this is my plan.....1. sweep out coop throughly (nesting boxes aren't open yet) 2. spray with liquid Sevin. 3. put mixture of DE and a little sevin on the floor before pine shavings (previously only applied DE). 4. Make fresh dust bath mixture using DE and sprinkling it in the dirt in the yard where they dust bath. I just want to keep my chickens and their coop pest free as much as possible and all this reading is starting to make me worry. So any suggestions on how much sevin I should mix in with the DE.

That's pretty much how I do it. Only I use a dry Sevin powder or poultry dust on roosts, floor and poofed into all the cracks or crevices.
Then DE in nest boxes and dust bath spots in the run.
I'm sure liquid Sevin would work just as well if not better.

I plan on using the powdered sevin on the floor mixed with DE. How much to apply is my concern. What mixing ratio should I do....equal parts, 3parts DE to 1 part sevin. Don't know what would be best and safest. Previuosly I just sprinlked a nice layer of DE on the floor before putting down the pine shavings.

M.sue :

I plan on using the powdered sevin on the floor mixed with DE. How much to apply is my concern. What mixing ratio should I do....equal parts, 3parts DE to 1 part sevin. Don't know what would be best and safest. Previuosly I just sprinlked a nice layer of DE on the floor before putting down the pine shavings.

Simple solution, Sue. Don`t waste your money on DE at all. Just use powdered Sevin Dust. DE isn`t worth the effort to pour it out. Sevin is safe, even for baby chicks and broody hens.......Pop​

Ok but I'll sprinkle a little DE since I already have it. Gosh, I don't recall my grandfather doing all this. I think I was too little to notice or care. lol Like I said previously I just want to be be pest free as much as possible and still be safe. Thanks for the input!
smile.png

Quote:
Simple solution, Sue. Don`t waste your money on DE at all. Just use powdered Sevin Dust. DE isn`t worth the effort to pour it out. Sevin is safe, even for baby chicks and broody hens.......Pop

It is my understanding that putting DE in the nest boxes was so the eggs wouldn't be covered in Sevin Dust.
Although I guess Sevin would rinse off if you wash your eggs.
Some people here use food-grade DE dust sprinkled in their hen feed to rid the hens of internal parasites.
I haven't tried it in their food.
As for how much sevin to use I don't think it matters, just sprinkled all around thoroughly.

I remember back some 40 years ago I was working for Fontaine Truck Equipment and we got in a feed truck that delievered feed to the large houses. The truck had had a wreck and needed body repair. When I got in to the damaged part it was full of maggots. The chicken feed had gotten wet, or damp, and did they ever multiply. So I would say and spilled feed needs to be removed and a daily basis to assure that doesn't happen in the coop.

That's exactly what I did.....I put some DE in the nesting boxes. Thanks for the input!!
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom