Finally done! (PICS!!)

Chickybaby

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 28, 2008
NC - paradise!
big_smile.png
I'm so excited, and I'm sure the chicks are, too. We took a little longer to get it done than I wanted, but we were debating over what to make nests out of. I saw a great idea (here I think) using 5 gal buckets with lids, told hubby about it and he kind of ran with the idea:

bucketnests.jpg

bucketnests2.jpg

With about $20 in lumber and screws, he built supports for the buckets and then threaded bungi (sp?) cord like stuff through them to hold them in place (and easy removal for cleaning!) The buckets I got for $2 ea. It sits on bricks right now (can't decide how tall to make them) but will put on legs when I figure it out. Completely removeable, if needed, but like I said each bucket can be removed for easy clean up as needed.

chicksnewhome.jpg

movetocoop.jpg

movetocoop2.jpg

I think I need to make their roost a little lower, though...

The coop itself is a rustic wood shed that used to house dog supplies (previous owners raised Boxers, so slab and shed, along with some 6 ft chain link fence panels were already here - hooray for me!), so I gutted it, cleaned it out and TA DA!

chickcoop.jpg

Thanks for letting me share - and if anyone sees something that needs to be modified or changed, PLEASE say so. I'm still new to all of this and need all the help I can get!
wink.png

Chicky,
You've done a really nice job with your coop! DH's nests look nice, also.
smile.png
I wouldn't raise the nests.... they seem accessible to the hens, and that's really all you need. As for the roosts, you may want to put a ladder or a box that the hens can use to get up/down to roost. The brahmas are a heavier bird, and may have trouble landing, especially on concrete. And the one nest that is under the roost may get 'fertilized'
big_smile.png
more than you'd like. With eight hens, you'll only need a couple of nests. You may want to put some of them away, until you add more hens.
I like the light in the coop... it's very airy and comfortable looking.
Your little boy is obviously enjoying the coop... what a cutie!

Carla

big_smile.png
Thanks! I wasn't sure about just venting at the roof and having the only light source at the doors, so DH suggested we knock out a chunk of the back wall and wire it (chicken wire) for more light. It worked GREAT! I've wired the inside and outside (can't be TOO careful!) of the doors and window, as well as the inside of the roof line to keep out adventurous critters. I've got some leftover lumber (took the red ones off the doors to make windows) so I could make a ramp to the roost pretty easily. They roosted all the time in their little pen, but aren't now that they're in the coop. I figured the nest under the roost would get "fertilized" - good thing I can get them in and out easily. We actually wanted the nests along the side walls, and it would've worked well if the shed was actually square...
hmm.png
So we had to put it against the back wall instead! We're planning to put an awning over the back window to keep out the rain (trees seem to be keeping it out pretty good for now, though) and to protect the feeder when I put them outside. The slab is about 3 ft wider than the shed, so the chickens will have a covered back patio to dine on, too. Spoiled rotten and only 7 weeks old!
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom