Home Euthanation

Golden_Gwennie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
Connecticut
I have a sick chicken (or two) that seem to have a lymphoma virus (or something like that). Their poo is yellowish, their abdomen is fat and puffy, their feathers are puffed out, and they aren't moving much.

I can tell they are miserable. How can I euthanise them? I don't want to snap their necks and I don't have a gun, nor would I want to shoot them.

What can I do?
hit.gif

That is too bad, sorry. shooting probably is not a god method and is loud and messy. Truthfully for a method that you can do at home beheading them or spinal dislocation is probably the most effective and humane and fast. CO2 euthanasia is effective but I doubt you would find it any prettier than any other method. The knife through the base of the skull as described in raising poultry the modern way is fast and effective but not for the faint of heart and takes a bit of practice. If this is a beloved pet then you are going to be upset and hesitant and this is no time to be hesitant.

I wish you good luck and sorry you are losing some friends

Have some big strong man come and do it for you! If you are tenderhearted and have never done it, I would advise you to get someone else who is not so emotionally involved. A dying chicken makes quite a show, no matter how its done. :aww

Tie the feet together, hang upside down from a limb or a cloths line post, take a sharp knive and cut it's throat. Do your best to cut the head off clean. You must use a sharp knive and be careful not to cut yourself. Once you have done this a few hundred times, you will get the hang of it.

I've read many threads about euthanization and I think, if I had to do it, I'd place the chick in a small paper bag and put it under the tire of my car. Then I'd run over it. Sounds horrible (as any method does) but it would be VERY quick and I wouldn't have to kill it with my hands. Just my thoughts. So sorry about your chicks. Good luck.

* I've heard of people using auto starter fluid, which is usually ether and puts them to sleep. MIND YOU DON'T INHALE THE FUMES AND IT'S VERY FLAMMABLE, TOO!! Sorry about the chickees.

Running over a chick might work since you can make sure the whole head is smashed immediately, but for an adult, you'd have to be sure to crush the head. Sounds very messy to me. Cervical dislocation, or any method to remove the brain from the body is the best in my opinion, as if there is no connection, it can't feel anything.

panner123, I'm not sure why you would consider tying a chicken's feet and hanging it upsidedown before slitting its throat humane. Personally, I'd consider that one of the least humane methods. I know I wouldn't want to go that way.

I have only killed one hen.
The poor little soul was very weak and tired so I waited until she closed her eyes and hit her on the head with a heavy iron bar. It was instantanious, she did not know a thing about it and did not flap. I then cut her head off as I wanted to make sure that she was dead. She did flap a bit then.
If I have to do another I will put her in a bucket of water to make sure that she is dead instead of cutting the head off.

Back
Top Bottom