Home Euthanation

Quote:
I see now that it is a sick chicken they are trying to kill, still cutting the hear off is fast and easy. As for haning the chicken up side down, This lets all the blood run out if you are going to eat the chicken. If you have ever seen the blood around the bone and in the cavity of a store bought chicken. Best way in the world to get sick is to eat this blood. Also, by trying the legs you don't have to chase it once you cut the head off. Yes, a chcken will run with no head. And to top that, a chicken can live with no head. As a youngster my grandfather took me to a circus which had a headless chicken. It lived for a number of years that way. If I remember correctly it was taken to England so the queen could view it. Still quick and easy, cut the head off.

I have killed lots of chickens in our years of raising poultry for meat and have yet to see one run around after its head is cut off. I've heard the story about the headless chicken, but I can't even imagine such a thing after seeing them die in front of my eyes.

IMO the most humane way (for the chicken) is to take a sharp axe to it and remove the head from the body. One quick blow and its over. Turn your head while it thrashes (which is a few seconds). We use the two nails on a chopping block method as well and just release the feet once the spine is severred. It is quick and effective.

If you do not have the heart to do so, then I would recommend having someone else do it or take it to a vet to have it put down.

I am very sorry for what you are going through and as special as our pets are, it is always a difficult decision.
hugs.gif
Good for you for doing the right thing and ending the suffering.

Jody

I do not think anyone is referring to them "running around without a head"...it is the involuntary muscle reaction immediately following death...they flap and flop around....at least adults do.

I would use the start fluid...it is like them going to sleep.

panner said
Yes, a chcken will run with no head. And to top that, a chicken can live with no head.

That is what I was referring to.

Jody​

I would take them to the vet!! I am a wimp and I know I would cry and so would my kids. $10 and the job is done, bring them home and bury them or leave them there, your choice.

hugs.gif
Sorry that you are having to make this decision......

Hands up here!

The first chick I ever culled may be of help here. I have sadly had to deal with my fair share of adults but this was a 2 month old chick, and so I twisted and pulled the neck as usual, (wanting to make sure it was done properly but obviously too hard for the young birds neck) and OMG the head came off in my hand and I screamed and dropped the body which then proceeded to run around the yard spurting blood till it hit a wall. I was in deep shock and that was when I started researching and bought myself a dispatcher. Even now I shudder when I think about it.

It's an awful thing to discuss, and I sympathise with anyone making the decision xxx

Back
Top Bottom