Wound with maggots I can't get rid of **NOW WITH PICS**

1ElvisFan

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
I know it's been a long time.... having been down to two banty's for months, Erin brought home two chicks, I don't know what breed they are. One I lost about a week ago, something killed it. NOW, I have the second one and she is in a real mess, she's about 4 or 5 months old. Half of her tail head is ripped downward only held on by bone and the bottom half of the "meat". Sadly, I didn't notice this for a day or so and it is now covered in maggots. I have her inside and am flushing it with fresh water 3 or 4 times a day and covering it with neosporin, I'm also using Terramycin in her water. No matter how many times I flush and treat I can't get rid of the maggots. I have not taken pics yet, but if I need to I will. I'm desperate here, are there any tried and true ways to get rid of these things??? I've searched online and all I find is "Maggots are good, they eat dead or infected flesh and leave healthy flesh behind, but I can't buy that load.

Last edited:
They use them to treat people who have infections with dying flesh. They bandage them and allow them to eat the dying flesh and clean out the wound. Then they unbandage and let them out. It's true. If you cannot get rid of them, this would lead me to believe that the flesh is still dying and is not healing yet. Just my opinion... I am NO expert on maggots.
tongue.png

Try peroxide or 4 parts water to 1 part betadine. That should do the trick. I understand how nasty they look. If that doesn't work you will need to pick them out with tweasers. YUCK! Try the peroxide first. Most houses have that in the bathroom somewhere.

Good luck.

Faye

I sure wish I could FIND my peroxide. I have a huge bottle and can't find it anywhere. I'm thinking of making up a sitzbath of sorts and dunking her bottom in it for like 5 minutes and drown the nasty critters. I'll prolly wind up going out for more peroxide though.

Hey Elvie!
frow.gif

You will need to pick out the maggots with tweezers every few hours. Just flushing won't get them loose. Use warm soapy water to soak the hen and drown what's left. Use a turkey baster to shoot a hard stream to loosen the maggots so you can get them easier. You can wash with betadine to help.
Keep her in the house.
Good luck, keep us posted and nice to see you!

I've had her in the sink with the sprayer nozzle for about 3 or 4 minutes, they keep surfacing. Linda tried to get them with tweezers but can't get ahold of the squirming snots. I never thought of a baster. Think a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes will do it?

Back
Top Bottom