Can Roosters Recover from Bumblefoot?

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
Rock Star, our 15 month old Amerucana Rooster, appears to have a nasty case of bumblefoot. Just one foot, but it's twice the size of the other. There's only a small scab and I can't get out the pus, even after soaking his foot.
Not knowing what else to do, he's been quarantined for a few days, with a probable internal layer and both of them are on Duramyacin, because that was the antibiotic on hand.

Any thoughts? Is this a just an example of prolonging the obvious? Do roosters every recover from bumblefoot? I've cured a hen, but it was a slow and tiresome process.

I can post photos if anyone wants to see how handsome he is...or how enormous his foot is.

BlueMoon- you have got to slice the foot pad (at the plug location) and get the plug out. Before you do that..obtain some PenG injectable and start antibiotic treatment. This is injected directly into the breast muscle. You can contact First State Vet supply for more info on needle size and administration. 1cc per day for standard size for 5-7 days. Cephalexin is another good antiobiotic for exterior body infections, however the staph will draw into his blood and eventually kill him without strong enough meds and getting the foot pad to drain. Good luck with your roo.

Jody

I don't know anything about bumblefoot, however I would really like to see pics....I'm trying to get as much info as possible just in case any of my chickens has any problems....anyone know what causes it?

I had a hen get it from roosting on a branch roost instead of her usual 2x4. Remember to wear gloves when you clean it. I cut the top of the foot and cleaned out the cheesy hard stuff. Packed it with neosporin and wrapped it up good. Waited a week took wrap off washed it and put liquid bandage on let it dry wrapped it again. Then in 3 days took bandage off and it was all healed up & looked great. I wrapped her in a towel & she never even moved when I was doing all this to her.

Back
Top Bottom