KUMMER POULTRY FARM: Any Experiences?

Gresh

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
North Carolina
I ran across a guy on the web who breeds some nice-looking birds. He's a German immigrant who breeds Russian Orloffs, Welsummers, Barnevelders, and a few bantam breeds as well. He also sells hatching eggs for these breeds. He owns "Kummer Poultry Farm". He says that he helped to bring one of his breeds--I think it was the Barnevelder or Welsummer--into the American Standard of Perfection. He sells hatching eggs for $48 per dozen. Here's a link to his website: http://kummerpoultryfarm.com/default.aspx
I
was wondering if anyone has had any experience with him and his birds. If he's genuine, than he possibly is selling some of the best purebred stock ever: namely, German lines. But I was just wondering since I am exploring my poultry options.
Thanks!

I am happy to know about the breeder and I have gotten his hatching eggs with success. Great contact with emails, working with you getting bigger and better success with your hatching eggs LOL! Oh, he tries to bend over backwards too.

German lines and great person to work with. I think his Welsummers were on the small side but other than that, they are pure as they come.

He is also responsible in bringing the Welsummers to the APA standard, one of the five breeders I believe.

His Orloffs by far I've seen are the best ones if that is what you are looking for. His Barnvelders are beautiful but still need more work on the egg colors because they lacked the darkness like the UK standard.

Good luck! He does NOT ship birds or chicks. Only hatching eggs.

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
wink.png
From the couple emails he and I exchanged, he seemed like a helpful person to work with. I'd love to buy from him, but I need an incubator for the hatching eggs: but they're so darned expensive!
barnie.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
wink.png
From the couple emails he and I exchanged, he seemed like a helpful person to work with. I'd love to buy from him, but I need an incubator for the hatching eggs: but they're so darned expensive!
barnie.gif

Well, consider how he had to import or get the best lines he can find at that time.

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
wink.png
barnie.gif

Well, consider how he had to import or get the best lines he can find at that time.

Whoops! I actually meant that the INCUBATORS are so expensive: he actually has a really affordable price for my budget
wink.png

I have Mahogany Orloffs from him, and he's very nice to work with and an incredibly conscientious breeder from what I can tell. Good luck, and remember, scrimping on an incubator usually means buying more eggs.

Quote:
I love the pics of the Mahoganies he has on his website: gorgeous birds! How heavy did yours get? I'm interested because he told me in an email that he rarely weighs his birds. He did say that the Mahoganies were a good bit heavier than the Spangled's.
By your incubator-egg comment, I take you to mean: if you're gonna get a cheap incubator, better get more eggs 'cause a cheap incubator won't hatch a small number very well. Am I right?
wink.png

Quote:
If bators were dirt cheap, I'd already have bought three dozen of his Mahogany eggs and 2 dozen Spangled eggs and begun my own breeding project!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom