molting

the Pollo Loco

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Santa Cruz,CA
ok there are feathers everywhere, I guess they started to molt, how does this affect their laying, if any? I have the new lighting up and running and they start to molt... what's up?

Molting can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the health of the bird. If you got the lighting up at the time the molt started, you will have to wait out the molt. Good luck!

The increase in light probably caused them to molt by tricking their bodies into thinking its a different season. It happens to my cage birds (budgies) all the time, especially if we leave the light on too long such as when we go out and come home late.

Right now, since I'm brooding chicks with a lamp in the same room, they are starting another molt, even thought I cover them at night, it's not totally dark in their cages and it triggers them to molt.

yes when they molt they do NOT lay. however sometimes my birds take 2 weeks and other times they FULLY seem to molt and look brand new. (especially my a&ms) they become bright white and look nice and fresh n clean. but it might take 3-4 weeks for them to "recover" and start to drop eggs out again. hey they need to take a little rest sometime.. mine lay ALOT when they do... and are very well cared for and in great health.

It takes 4-6 weeks for the feathers to grow back completely, so the length of the molt depends on how long it takes them to dump the old feathers.

Bare skin spots, rough feathering, tired, almost sickly looking.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom