Question regarding quail molting

Wandering_r0gue

Songster
Apr 11, 2023
SW Manitoba, Canada
I did a search but wasn't really finding my question:

All my ladies, and roos, seem to be molting.... they have lots of clean feathers, but there are a ton littered around their pens. Most of my hens aren't currently laying, and haven't for several weeks.... they also keep shoving all their bedding into their little shelter huts... they seem healthy etc.

The question: how long do they usually molt for? I'm not really stressing (yet) but I would like to get eggs again....

They're in indoor pens with artificial light on a timer, usually lay all winter, but they are just coming put of a breeding/laying period early this spring.

I rescued 3 jumbo coturnix hens and they went into a full molt shortly after, of course they werent laying as the’d been in a very distressing home for their 10 months of life, then sold for butcher by my neighbor (their original owner), he went and got them out of 20 degree weather in an open wire cage they’d been left out in a backyard for 3 days when the guy changed his mind about butchering all 15 birds…..Sooo I rescued these 3 jumbo hens that had an immediate molt, lasted 3 weeks, then adjusting to their new humane lifestyle took them roughly 7 more weeks. They are now 1 yr and 1 month old and laying everyday. If I had put them under lights with a longer period of light daily in March and April they might have laid sooner.

Back
Top Bottom