Why Not Use Cedar?

Stella1964

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Ontario Canada
I've read that you shouldn't use cedar shavings...but have not been able to find out why it's so bad. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks. PS...I've been using pine shavings but sometimes the bag doesn't specify, it just says wood shavings...how can I tell the difference?

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
The Problem with Cedar and Pine Shavings as Pet Bedding and Litter
Cedar and pine shavings are commonly available pet bedding products - but are they harmful to the very animals for which they are intended?
Cedar and pine became popular for pet bedding material because they are good at controlling odor and have some natural insecticidal properties (they kill or repel bugs, especially cedar). These softwood shavings smell nice due to the volatile compounds (e.g. aromatic hydrocarbons, phenols) that are given off. Unfortunately these compounds have been implicated as a potential health risk, especially with regards to respiratory problems (asthma, inflammation, allergic responses) and changes in the liver.

Many of the studies on wood toxicity have actually been conducted on humans, who are exposed to these woods and their by products in the wood product industry (such as those who work in lumber mills who are exposed to lots of wood dust), and these studies often compare the incidence of disease in workers in the wood product industry compared to other workers or the average population.

Studies of laboratory animals have shown fairly dramatic changes in liver enzymes on animals housed on cedar bedding

Thanks BlueBirdFarm, i'm concerned then that the last bag I bought, which only says "wood shavings" may not be pine but cedar. My nose isn't educated enough to know the difference. Surely a country store selling animal things wouldn't sell cedar shavings??

Cedar shavings are a totally different color (dark reddish/purple) than pine shavings and it would say on the bag "Cedar". Cedar has an oil in it that is a bug repellent and it has a really strong smell. I think it is just too intense for little chicks. I have used it in the coop with the older chickens and have no problems, but your not supposed to use it for chicks.

you r welcome
cedar is usually redder than pine , and yes they will, they sell it at TSC and i almost bought it too, that is how i know.
sometimes pine and cedar are mixed in the bag , too.

this is from another post

Make sure you have bedding. For the first few days to a week start them on paper towels. No newspaper as the ink may be toxic and the chicks can slip causing crooked feet. after there first few days to a week you can change to pine NOT cedar shavings. cedar has oils which are toxic to the chickens resperatory system. Dont be nervous if they eat the pinne shavings. They will mistake it as feed for a little while but will know where the feed is. If you plan to use straw there are a few things you need to know. Straw when damp can attract bugs. Plus it dont smell so good when damp . also I have heard that hay or straw can hide mites. Pine smells good and it absorbes better IMO

Back
Top Bottom