12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
woot.gif

I just found the first egg from this years' pullets!! A pretty little barred rock egg!
wee.gif

Here it is in my hand:
95415_first_br_egg.jpg

And next to a Wyandotte egg for comparison (size/color):
95415_first_br_egg_next_to_wyandotte_egg.jpg

And the culprit? Well, I really think it was Diana. She's been fussing a lot around the coop lately:
95415_maybe_egg-layer_diana.jpg

But it could also have been Natalie, who has always been quieter and may have slipped under my radar, so to speak:
95415_maybe_egg-layer_natalie.jpg

They're both just under a week away from turning 6 months old and they're both squatting. (And I really just want to give them big hugs every time they squat for me.
hugs.gif
They are just so cute!)

Oh, and Wynne helped me out with picture taking:
95415_lol_r_u_trien_2_take_picturz.jpg

Wynne: "lol r u trien 2 take picturz?"
Me: "Yes, dear, of the barred rock that's right behind you.
he.gif
"

I had a BR the first time too. I recently got a D'uccle and her eggs are so tiny they are SO cute. I have a Leghorn and the comparison is quite a difference. First eggs are always fun. And sometimes the egg hunt is just as fun.
big_smile.png

Thank you for all the comments, folks!
big_smile.png

I just wanted to update to say that I got my second barred rock egg last night!! It's slightly larger, but the same color and exactly the same shape, so I think whoever laid the first did the second, too. I've pretty much settled on Diana being the first layer of this year's pullets. Her comb is just brighter and thicker and she acts more like it than Natalie does. BUT, dear Natalie has begun fussing around the nests enough that I've noticed her. I might have another pullet laying her first egg soon!! How exciting!
ya.gif

They're just a few days away from turning 6 months old, too!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom