At what temperature should you put vaseline on comb and wattle

I've never done this . Not sure if I would. I've read the vaseline gets awfully dirty. Last winter my hens which have big combs & wattles did fine it was my big honkin roo that got some frost bite. My understanding is to try & keep the moisture down in the coop. Not sure on how you accomplish that but hopefully someone can guide us. I had readings of 19 degrees in my coop last winter & as mentioned my roo had very little frost bite but like you I'd much rather try & protect him this winter if posssible.

I was told by the poultry expert at UCONN that some frostbite can occur when temps are 20 - 30 degrees F. And below 20 degrees F you should put Vaseline on the combs and waddles. I would rather have dirty combs and waddles than frostbite, IMHO.

Quote:
Good point!!! Guess this year hopefully it won't get that cold , I'll oil my ROOS waddles & comb. He's
63768_painting_roo_001.jpg
got some big ones.

None of the hens have ever had frostbite, but my roo did end up losing the tips of his comb last winter. It was only maybe a centimeter that turned black.

It is the wind in the cold that does it the most. All of my chickens like going out in the winter. If you don't glop it on, it doesn't get that dirty and you protect them from their comb falling off. Which sucks, I had that happen and now I use it on all my large combed birds

Last edited:
I've heard anywhere from the first frost - first snow.

It also depends where you're from. If you're in canada (such as I), the winters are obviously going to be colder than in most of the US. Just a thought. We all have a different definition of "cold"

Back
Top Bottom