MY POLISH ROO SAVED MY LIFE! I KNOW they have feelings !

ladychicken&Ducklover

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Champion, Michigan
5 am Friday morning, I woke up after falling asleep on my recliner.

I had a Slight itch on my right leg.

I have Never been allergic to Anything !

I went out to the coops to perform my morning rituals of saying " Good Morning " to the Girls and my Salmon Favorelle and Black Crested

Polish Roos.

Suddenly , my ears, hair , eyes AND tongue, started burning and swelling up to where my eyes closed !

My Airway started closing off and I knew I was in Severe trouble !

Things started to go " black " . Phillip is my Polish Roo. ( he is in my Avatar ).

I took a breath and Down I went !

I was on my left side barely to move or scream for help.

Phil doesn't crow Alot , but I heard him run Out of the coop , crowing ALOT !

My son told me later that he heard Phil crowing more than usual , then as my son came downstairs , he was surprised to see Phil On the porch pecking on the sliding glass patio door!

He had Flown over a short part of their fence and went onto the patio. !

He came back in and stood by my head .

The girls were slightly pecking me, curious I guess .

Funny thing is , he then " chased " the girls up into their " bedrooms".

Now DH had already left for work and my 16 yr old and 14 yr old , sons were in the house still asleep.

Not knowing how long I was unconscious , next thing I remember is my 14 yr old shaking me.

I told him HE was going to have to drive me to the hospital because we live too far out in the boonies and I didn't have time to wait for an ambulance , plus, we had just had a large snowstorm and my Private road had not been plowed yet.

Another reason He had to drive , is that my 16 is handicapped.

I was Unconscious when we arrived.

I came to on the gurney and people stripping off my clothes and doctors barking orders !

I heard the dr say that a breathing tube would Not be able to go down my throat due to the swelling!!!

After getting shots and monitors put on me, the nurse brought in the tray used in doing Tracheotomys !

I really didn't feel them cutting the hole in my throat, but I remember suddenly being able to breathe !

Now I know how it feels to be slowly strangled and it's horrifying!

I'm home now but have to carry an Epi pen always since I have NO idea what bit me!

Last edited:
Yikes! A terrifying story for sure! I hope you are not allergic to chicken dander.

O. M. Goodness!!!!!!

He has a home for life, that guy.

hugs.gif
for you, your kids and your awesome Roo. I am sure your kids were a bit spooked.

oh and just noticed
frow.gif
Yupper. Use to live in Crystal Falls, Iron River and Iron Mountain.

Thank God you're alive!!!! What a nightmare!

You're darn right some have feelings. In fact I think roos have more feelings. I love Polish roos.
What a sweetheart!
My one roo actually cried all day when I separated him from the flock. It was pitiful. I had to put him back.

I hope you've joined the "I have to talk about Polish thread" You would fit right in!

Bless you and Phillip!

Oh MY GOSH praise the Lord you are alright. that is amazing story at what your rooster did!
ep.gif

and your son driving you!
ep.gif

did he know how to drive?

Wow! Awesome Roo! Hope you gave him a special treat!! Glad you're ok!
Join us on the MI thread. There's lots of chicken people from "Up North"

Quote:
I've been letting him drive on our 1 1/2 mile dirt road we have leading to the house, but he's never been up onto the 2 lane highway until that morning , and whats worse is that we had Just had a bad storm, and I had to wait even longer until he got the truck brushed off enough just so we could Get in the darn thing !
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom