Attacking duck

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
My Magpie drake is attacking me (us) when I get in the duck house to let them in/out and feed them. Seems to be getting worse instead of better. There are no hens in this house, just drakes. Doesn't matter if I have food in my hand or not. Getting really annoying. Have tried the pick-him-up, turn him upside down resting in my arm, and hold his beak routine. He doesn't even struggle. This used to calm him down for a few weeks. But put him down and right back to attacking me. Does this to my husband too. Not having a breeding fest now. So behavior beyond the duck house is just fine - not aggressive.

He just charged me when I was out feeding them. I pulled my hand out quickly and he ran into the wall and ended up head first in the water. I am worried about him - and my arms/hands.

Likely a protect my turf sort of thing? He doesn't do this any other time. Lets me feed him out of my hand, tolerated being held and carried. Just something about being in the duck house.

Maybe thin out the drakes and get him a hen
idunno.gif

Drakes are only separate at night. He has access to "his hens" - all three hens have a 'preference' for him over the Khaki drakes - on a daily basis. He does get bullied by one of the other two drakes on occasion (and he is far bigger than the other birds). It's the weirdest thing. Most time all three drakes are just like the three musketeers. They go everywhere together. And won't go anywhere without the others. If one is still in the house, the other two come back and stand there until you get the third out. Almost like they are joined at the hip (er...wing).

You can try what I do to mine. I mount and dominate him. Show him you are flock leader not him. It might help. It's not helping mine right now since he's still being a jerk but it's worth a try. Just kind of hover over his body maybe try to rub your neck on him. I know it sounds weird but it's what thy do to show dominance. Good luck!!

Ha I know what you mean... Just a funny choice of words
gig.gif
I probably would have said "push him into the ground to show him dominance." Similar methods of training works on dogs as well as wanna be bad roosters.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom