Detached Air Cell

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
I am incubating 12 shipped eggs. Three had detached air cells. At 48 hours in, I decided to check on the detached air cell eggs. I'm glad I did as two of them were weeping. I took them out to toss them, but I got a good picture of the detached air cell on the one, and thought I'd share the photo with you all.

This egg is at 48 hours incubation, and that air bubble completely free floated when I turned the egg.

photo54.jpg

Weird, I was just talking to someone on another thread about this!
Our consensus so far was to hatch upright, in an egg carton or turner. But, this thread by Pete might help you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=610813

or

quoted from https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167310
"Is
the air cell still moving around or not? If it's not moving and it's just slightly off center it shouldn't have much lower odds of hatching. I've had some hatch that the air cell ended up directly on the side of the egg and I've had some chicks hatch that didn't bother to pip the air cell but broke straight through the shell. When it comes time to stop turning I just try to set the off center ones where the air cell will be towards the top.

If it's still moving I would keep that egg upright possibly even through hatch. Either keep it in a turner or set it in a carton. The air cell may still settle and stop moving. If possible you want it at the top when it does. If it continues to move up to hatching time then you still want to keep it at the top and leaving the egg upright sometimes helps the chicks position to break up into the air cell. There is some increased risk with losing down pips though."

Quote:
That is really encouraging!! How long did you let them settle?

Just a couple hours i didnt have my incubator running before hand i wasnt aware of letting them settle until recently reading it on a post here im not so sure it actually makes a difference.

I tossed two of my detached air cell eggs; they appeared to be weeping, which I think is a very bad sign, no?

The third egg with a detached cell is still loose. I kept it fat side up with no turning at all for 48 hours. It's now in my macgyver turner (egg carton glued to a PVC pipe) to turn.

Back
Top Bottom