Help With Rooster From Hell!!!

mojomamma

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Alabama
Hi! Happy New Year!!! Well, my 9 month old rooster who just started crowing 2 weeks ago when 2 of my golden laced wyandottes started laying, just ATTACKED me, drew blood and all and chased me pecking when I tried to close the coop for the night. Does this have something to do with the hens starting to lay, he never used to act like that, now I can't even go in the run. Should I get rid of him, cause I'm ready to strangle him!!!

His hormones have kicked in and you have seen his true nature. Most likely, this is the real him and you won't change it. If boundary testing begins before the hormones start raging, sometimes that can be nipped in the bud, but after he starts mating the girls and thinks he's the king, it's not likely he'll change, no matter what you do to him.

Late blooming jerk. Sorry.
sad.png

I know what I did to the BO we got after he tried that with me.... it worked and he didn't do it again.... Not sure how people would take it though... I wasn't very nice to him but he never attacked me again! Guess if I get flamed so be it. I punted him like a football across the barn....... he never came back for a second goal score.....

April

Yes, I am beginning to think he is a real pain in the butt...Within the last week the hens have been picking at his wing area and he is missing feathers....The hens backs are pretty beat bare and missing feathers too...He is nice to my husband but hates me all of a sudden. My husband was at work and did not believe he has been beating me up! He really likes this mean old bird....

The book I offered in my contest (you might want to enter) by Minnie Rose, says to swat him with piece of board. You might want to give it a try if he's one you want, though I don't recommend breeding this type of character.

I wish you peace and a Happy and Safe new year,

Rancher

Stew him. You're raising chickens, not rattlesnakes. Some roosters need more room than others, and they can be accommodated if they're otherwise doing their job.

This fellow is out of hand. Likely striking out, trying to find something/one else to dominate since the hens started pecking back.

Back
Top Bottom