Help With Rooster From Hell!!!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Bah Hah!!!

Quote:
I think the worst part of the video when I watched it was the head being torn off. I mean, she has to be super woman to do that. The other part that gacked me out was when she ate those eggs. Were they even washed off first?

I have only 1 rooster that might flog us, so my boys always carry a stick. Each of us have had to stand our ground and not give way until he does. I coach my boys thru an attack until they are the winner and the rooster leaves. THe rooster recognizes us as individuals and as such we each have to win the battle with him; I can't do it for each of my boys. They have learned a lot about body language dealing with roosters.
big_smile.png

Sometimes the best answer is to cull; my boys protest loudly when I make this suggestion. Go figure.

I am by no means an expert.

One of my roosters is not friendly to me. He used to be friendly but when he got full grown, he started attacking me and drew blood a couple times! My solution is: I bring a broom in one hand when I go into the coop to grab eggs or put in water or food. If he comes close, I push him with the broom. It works. He is scared of the broom, and moves away usually when he sees it. I just make sure I always carry the broom when around him!

I love him. He is so handsome, so arrogant, such a good husband to the RIR (Rhode Island Reds) guarding him and sharing food with them, etc. I really don't want to eat him! He is my pet, and I raised him from about 5 weeks old. So, I hope he does not hurt me again. If he does, I will see if a nearby Rooster rescue will take him. I do not know if they eat them, but they say they don't...

A REAL farm girl would just eat him! I am not one. I admit I keep chickens for the aesthetics of it and I love the eggs!

Toby

I can tell you one thing-I flatly refuse to have to carry a broom into any coop or pen with me. That is no way to live, takes all the fun out of caring for the chickens. The bantam roosters are not a problem-it's like a puff of wind at your ankle, but a 10 lb or better rooster could knock you off your feet if he hits you right.

We had one rooster who met the soup pot in six years of keeping chickens, a 24 week old Delaware cockerel. He earned his place there. DH took him from his confinement where he had been placed the day he flew off the roost at him to attack, hung him upside down over a tree branch. The cockerel was very calm and quiet. He took an exacto knife, found the artery under the jaw, sliced it (probably didn't even feel it, really) and let him bleed out. He barely flapped, just passed out. Made wonderful stew. He was being culled anyway due to a comb flaw, but when the human aggression ramped up, that was it. No passing on his genes. He was the exception to most Delaware males, who overall, seem pretty easygoing, if they come from good lines.

Quote:
So you showed him who's boss! Establishing a pecking order, this tactic works.
When your rooster starts to challenge your authority, you need to shut him down right away. If you keep fighting with him he'll think he has a chance. I had a rooster start up with me and I threw him against the wall(it was wire so he bounced). But it was enough to rattle his every fiber. He was a pleasure to be around after that, he got over it, and I guess he realized attacking me was pointless.

X2 Chances are you named him and coddled & hugged him when he was young and now your paying for that, he treats you like one of his hens, ever wonder why he doesn't do diddly to your DH???. If YOU not someone else, are unable to cure his behavior then just give him to someone who can, or let that person have him for dinner.

Sometimes, a rooster will fixate on a particular person, all "hugging" aside.

And in my experience, petting does not MAKE a rooster become aggressive, but it does let him know which person he considers more on his own level if he does have the makings of a human-aggressive male in him. If a male thinks you are equal with him, if he tends toward human aggression anyway, he will take you on when the hormones kick in, no question. That is why, sometimes, the friendliest cockerels as chicks turn out the be the meanest suckers when they start mating the pullets. If he is "genetically programmed", for lack of a better term, to be easygoing and calm around people, no amount of petting is going to turn him mean.

I don't think you should coddle roosters after they are leaving chickhood, though. I'm a believer in giving them their space, as long as you can catch them to do what needs to be done when you have to, such as toenail trims or fixing injuries, etc. I have several good roosters who wouldn't even nip me, much less flog or rush me. I can do whatever I like to them. They were handled as youngsters, but not babied. You just need to be able to handle them when you have to.

I have 2 very easy going roos but the problem I have is my 2 year old turkey hen, she is a pet and now is the only turkey I have, her sister flew the fence in the spring and never came back. She has been very friendly up until this fall and now she attacks everyones feet l was pushing her away with my feet not wanting to really hurt her but last week she took a chunk out of the back of my leg and my reaction was to as the previous poster said "punt her like a football" she hasn't come back for another try since, but she still follows me around the yard like a pet.
smile.png

Quote:
Hey that punting works!!!! Automatic reflex! Same went for my son when he was little and took a bite of my shoulder.. reflex was to pop him in the back of the head. He didn't use the teeth on momma shoulder again!

April

Quote:
Is this cockerel the Black Copper Marans that you mention in your tag line? The only rooster I have ever had a problem with was a Black Copper Marans. At about six months he started jumping me (and anyone else in the vicinity). He would fly at my face, jump on me from behind and sometimes even stalk me.... and he was already HUGE! And he was brutal to my hens too. Long story short, he didn't make it to adulthood. He tried to flog my husband just one time and didn't survive the hour. He was a really handsome boy, but not worth the stress-- I currently have four other roosters and they may not exactly like to be cuddled, but at least they're not psycho! It's nice to be able to enjoy my chickens again without looking over my shoulder! Good luck with whatever decision you make
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom