Help With Rooster From Hell!!!

My BO roosters occasionally would (for fun or sport I think) run at me. I took to picking up my 'rooster stick' and shaking it at them while I said "Do I need a rooster stick?" If they backed down (which they virtually always did) I'd put the stick down and peace would reign again. Visitors to the property were given the rooster stick as a precaution.

Seemed like Rex and Harry were making a game out of it really. They were not really mean at all. They were good boys. Still I did have to shake the stick at them occasionally. Once in a while maybe tap their side.

I believe animals can understand much more than we give them credit for. Maybe your rooster can be made to see the light? Otherwise as some wise folks here have suggested make BBQ out of the guy.

Update!!! This morning my husband went out and for the first time it attacked him and would not give up...my husband took his shoe off and threw it at him, he made some awful sounds got back up and has not tried to peck or come near any of us all day...so we shall see!!!

Yup he has to decide wether it's worth going back again... He will try again... mine tried 2 times.. I said third time and it was the crock pot. Actually the punting of the roo was the second time he came after me. First time I grabbed him by the neck, sat on him then then pitched him across the barn... 4 days later he was punted.. NEVER tried again..... Hopefully he will be a quick study and figure it out

April

The best thing that I have learned to do to EVIL roosters is to show them who is boss.
wink.png
If he will allow you to pick him up then grab him and flip him over on his back and pet him *( I know it sounds crazy but it works)* I have had many EVIL roosters and this has done the trick every time.
smile.png
If he tries to pick at you while he is on his back then give him a hit on the head.
wink.png

Hope I helped.
smile.png

And then there are folks who try everything listed on BYC and nothing fixes the determined mean rooster.

Human aggression can be heritable so I won't keep a rooster who is mean as a snake around. I cull for temperament. You do not have to have a rooster who attacks people in order for him to do the job nature intended for him to do, i.e. mate and protect his hens.

You may think you've won. Most likely, he'll wise up and get sneaky about it.

There are other ways to calm down a mean rooster. Every once in a while, I pick ours up and walk around with him while I feed the others. He hates it, and when I put him down, he briefly challenges his buddy, another rooster - who is not mean or aggressive. They never do much but get their hackles up. Meanwhile, he leaves me alone. I don't have to hit him or carry a broom. I usually try to pick him up when he first exits the coop in the morning.

Last edited:
Hey I know how U feel: I have a Huge turken roo who attacked me once first time he scared me, then I read on BYC where U have to show who is boss, so the next time he did it I wheeled around and went after him arms flappin and goin from side 2 side he stood up spred his wings and took my #10 rockies in the chest for a good 10 ft up and 15 ft over tea kettle, stood there a couple seconds, looked around saw the girls laughin at him hung his head and left. A couple days later he tried it with the Misses told her to do the same and since he won't look at or second glance us , but is nice as pie. Bottom line UR the boss let him know that

Back
Top Bottom