Bloody poop in newly bought chicks??? *update*

Teresa La

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 24, 2007
I just got 2, almost 3 week old buff orpington chicks and a dark cornish bantam(??) from a man that put an ad out for day old chicks. The chicks look ok . They are eating and drinking. Playing with their little perch, scratching around in their little pine shavings but a few times a day I see what looks like red, slimy poop. Could it be bloody stools?? I am an RN so you would think I could recognize bloody stools when I see them, but I am a newbie to chickens.
big_smile.png
I have had them for over 48 hours now and it doesn't seem to be more or less than when I first got them.
The place I got them from was horrible. He had layers in cages everywhere and my feet sunk in the amount of chicken poop on the ground. The smell that came from that place was so bad I wouldn't let my children in there. He did have the babies in a brooder with a wire bottom that looked decently clean. I almost didn't get them but I really wanted a few buff's and I just can't order the 25 minimum from the hatcheries. Besides that, I felt like I had to rescue the poor things.
Anyways, do you think it could be coccidiosis? Could it be from an abrupt change in diet? The man had them on something he makes and didn't want to part with some so I could make a gradual change in diet.
roll.png
I have them on medicated chick starter now.
Oh and one more question, today I thought I saw a little bug crawling by one of the babies vent. I think maybe it was too big to be mites?? How do I treat them for bugs at this young age? Geesh, I almost wish I would have left them, but I feel like if I can get everything fixed that they would have a much better life than what they would have had. Must be the nurse in me. I have to fix them.
smile.png

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you might have.

Teresa

Last edited:
Changeing the feed will most definately change the stools. Some runny poos are expected. Just let them have the medicated chic starter and clean water. they should adapt pretty quickly. As for the bug....hmmm...can you get some DE? Might want to try and put a little in the bedding if you can. Make sure its food grade DE tho. If there are buggies...this will kill them. Good luck with your little ones. I have 17 Buff Orps....and they are the sweetest things! mine are now almost 12 weeks old. So glad you could rescue those little ones. Got pics??

Sounds like Coccidosis and lice! Hopefully someone more experienced will get on here soon, but I think if they already have bloody stool, it is pretty serious, and you should get something for treating coccidosis from the farm supply, feed store or vet (whoever carries it in your area) And you also need rid of the lice, quickly, but I'm not sure what to recommend for babies like that. Again, where you get the cocc. treatment probably will have something.
Good Luck.

Yikes, lice!! Ok, I had my husband stop yesterday for some DE that he said he found yesterday but it was not the food grade kind. I figured we could use it on our outdoor pests but it says it is for indoor and outdoor use. It says to sprinkle on pets bedding and on carpets so if it says that do you think it would be harmful to put some in their bedding? I wasn't going to try it but I almost think it would be safer than dusting them with something else since they're so young still. I guess I will have to go and check out the other products they carry.

Oh, here is a pic of the biggest one on the little perch my husband built.
Chickens003.jpg

Here are all of the babies eating
Chickens004.jpg

Oh, here is all 3 of them on their perch
Chickens007.jpg

I couldn't get a better picture of them because they are still skittish when I am around. I would have actually posted a pic of the yucky poop but I get it up and out of there asap and I don't have another one in there right now. I really hope these sweet babies get better.
Oh, I did get 2, 6-7 week old BO pullets ( I think) from him to since they were living in a small cage and of course I felt sorry for them. So far they haven't had the same thing but maybe I ought to check them for bugs too. Please keep the advice coming. Thanks so much!

Teresa

Last edited:
I haven't had anymore evidence of bloody stools since yesterday. I figured out which one was doing it though since one of the stools was still a little different than the others (not bloody),but most are normal that I see now. They are getting more active too, eating and drinking lots more so I think that is a good sign. I will definately keep a close eye on them.
Ok, for the bugs we changed out all of the bedding and sprinkled DE in the bottom and in the new bedding. I put some on my gloves and rubbed a little on them. I was worried it would hurt them but they seem ok. I checked the babies today and I can't find any bugs on them. Could it work that fast or maybe the bugs are hiding really well? I couldn't find any bugs on the girls outside either.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are on the mend!
fl.gif

Teresa

I just wanted to say that since I last posted all the bloody poop has stopped and all the bugs are gone. I don't know if it is the medicated feed and the DE or the fact that they are just used to their new home, but they are happy little chicks now. They run around everywhere now. I didn't realize how unactive they were until I see how they act now. It is so funny to watch them.
ya.gif
Anyways, I am so relieved that they are better now and I just had to share.

Teresa

Hi Teresa, I too had bloody stools in 2 of my vaccinated (marek and cocci...) EE chicks ordered from McMurray's. The stools appeared when I switched feed at 3 weeks old from organic 17% crumbles that I mashed with a mortor and pedstle to an generic organic pre-mashed non medicated Poulin brand. It cleared right up...I did put some ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their water which seemed to help. Doubled up on some yogurt also...which they loved. Only had the bloody stools x2 days directly after switching feeds. They are 6 weeks old now and almost all feathered out. ALL hens! Those guys at McMurray's are good at sexing because I definitely have all pullets; 24 of them!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom