Help please, Eggbound, tried lots of things, WARNING GRAPHIC PICTURE

LilBrat

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 22, 2008
One of our Barred Rock hens just recently started laying. 5 1/2 months old. I noticed she's got an egg that seems to be too big to come out, and it's not terribly smooth.

There's a partial membrane preventing the egg from emerging fully.

I don't know if she's just got a swollen vent.. too big an egg or the pooper shooter canal is prolapsed.

We have done the warm bath.. got the goo off, wrapped her in a towel, slopped her down with generic prep-H.. tried to get a finger in to help the egg out. That didn't work. We tried to to make a hole in the egg.. also no success. (not sure what implement we should use to make a hole either) When she's not pushing, we can barely see the egg. She seems to be sucking it back inside herself. Oh.. and the prep-H did unswell her some.

She's not stopped eating and drinking, and judging by the goo on her butt before the bath, not stopped pooping.
any other suggestions.. we're very new at this stuff.

below is a picture of her straining to get the egg out.. up close and personal.. warning.. it's not pleasant...
She oozed a little poo at the same time so the egg looks more irregular than it is in person.

214rtbs.jpg

I just don't know what to do for her now.

wow. gross. You did all that I would do. How long has she been like this? I would talk to a vet if you want to save her.
Do you have a poultry vet or a vet that treats birds in the area?

OH MY GOSH !!! Everything you have already tried I was going to suggest but no I haven't a clue. Did you try calling a vet and see if they had any other suggestions? WOW that looks like it hurts A LOT. I'm so sorry for you and your girl I hope this can be taken care of before things get even worse. Sorry I am of no help you've done everything I would have.

Oh poor chicken, anyone who has had a baby knows how bad that must feel! It sounds like you have done everything. Hopefully someone here has an idea of what else you can do.

it's been 2 days.. it took all of yesterday to catch her and it was dark when I finally got her in the "hospital cage"
Our flock is free range all over the yard and she decided to get in thickets of trees where I am unable to go for most of the day.
She had her bath this morning... wasn't pleased or relaxed in the slightest for that procedure.
We don't have a vet nearby. We don't have anything nearby - we're in the middle of nowhere.

I was hoping for a suggestion on what to make a hole with. We tried with a really sharp screw and tapped lightly with a hammer, but since the egg retracts inside when she's not pushing - I'm afraid I'm going to tear that membrane. I'm wondering if I should be considering an episiomotmy on that membrane, and if so where? (top, bottom, side?) I'm sure I have enough antibiotic cream to cover the whole area if need be. My concern with that is it's full of small blood vessels and the bleeding issue.

Ok, not that I have had this problem, but would some kind of lubricant help? Like KY?
good luck
Krista
edited to add that I would be concerned about the shell puncturing something if you break it inside
hmm.png

Last edited:
Have you tried to lubricate the egg? I would run out and get some old fashioned KY and try that. I am willing to bet, as far progressed as it is, it would come out that way. Poor girl, I hope she can get it out of there.
sad.png

I was just a littel slow there.
smile.png

Last edited:
OH Man...I have NO clue what to tell you but I want to say that I am sorry! This has to be a huge deal for you to have to try to treat her and hope that she is ok AFTERwards. My thoughts are with you, hope someone here can give you more info!

the hemmorid goo we used was just as slippery as KY, but we do have that around too... will try that when she gets a little rest. She just ate, drank and had a good poo. So far she's just standing up in the cage with her eyes closed. She really deserves a good rest after her ordeal this morning.

I would try lubricant as well. Also, Have you tried to stretch the membrane around the egg? I saw you were thinking episiotomy, but there is a lot of blood vessels there.. I would try putting something flat like tweezers on the membrane and see if there is any more "stretch" to it.. Just be careful and do it slowly, Hope the lubricant help, that looks painful.

Back
Top Bottom