Hanging treat?

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
My hens are not free range. I would love for them to be but due to predators i can't. I think they get bored sometimes even though i give them snacks daily and i put out oyster shell.

I thought i saw on here somewhere that there is a way to hang something up that they can peck at.....to keep them from pecking each other and to entertain them.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this?

Thanks for any info,
Jodie

I think I remember reading a post about that, and I believe it was a head of romaine lettuce they hung up.

Lisa
smile.png

You can hang anything that they can peck at. I've hung grapes (thanks to my neighbors' grape arbor!). I've heard of people hanging cabbages, too. Get creative and hang goodies that will encourage them to work for it but still get rewarded.

This is kind of gross, but I have also heard of people hanging up a "maggot ball", something maggots would grow in. Apparently chickens love maggots, not that I have had any experience with that yet!
hmm.png

I have posted about this before, but it deserves a second mention. Purina make a treat called a Flock Block. For confined chickens it is great, plus they love it. It stopped all my feather plucking instantly. and I would think that birds confined for the winter would really appreciate something like this.

We are hanging a head of cabbage in the coop this winter so they will have some greens plus keep them busy. Probably hang one once a week or more. Seems I have read where the cabbage goes very quickly. Sounds like they will be having way too much fun.
tongue.png

That sounds like fun!
big_smile.png
I haven't tried hanging anything yet but I bet the show they put on would be worth it. How would you hang something like a cabbage?

Back
Top Bottom