My Hen is Walking Backwards

Pics

jmb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Texas
Last week, one of my 7 mo. old Delaware hens started walking backwards. It's not a step or so, but 7-10 steps. Then, she'll stop for a second and do it again. She can walk forward, but does this backward thing a lot. Did she fall on her head? Anybody else see this before?

yuckyuck.gif
It is a Moonwalking chicken.

Honestly, I have never heard of such a thing. Hopefully someone will have some answers for you.

the only time I saw any of my chickens walk backwards is when one of my month old chicks got crook neck. Its head was turned 180 degrees and when it was startled it would just keep backing up till in got in to a corner.
We cured her crookneck and everything is alright and she is walking forward now.
Anything like that going on??

Cory

edited for bad spelling because I'm tired

Last edited:
I don't think so. Her head stays straight. Other than her backwards walk, she seems normal.

May I ask how you cured crook neck? I have a six month old silver laced Wyandotte, one of 22, that has developed it. I saw her roosting with one eye looking straight up the other straight down. I put her alone in the old brooder with food and water and she does seem to be doing better. She seems function just great and seems happy but still has some tendency to turn her eye skyward.
I give her mashed up boiled eggs every other day for extra nutrition. She is not laying so I'm hoping it doesn't turn her into an egg eater.
Any way, if you have any tips I'd like to hear. thanks
Kirk

I have a moonwalking chicken as well. She's doing fine and acts like her normal self. Just sometimes after she dusts bathes she walks backward then shakes herself off them shes fine. Only happens about 1 day every other week. The only thing wrong with her is that she has knocked knees, but it adds to her personality.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom