Broodies on eggs? Broodies with babies? Post here.

gckiddhouse

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Desert Hills, AZ
Would love to share with those also hatching under a broody. This is our first time!! First broody!!! So exciting!

She started setting on about the 4thish. Should have kept better notes, hu? Anyway, I have separated her and we are waiting with bated breath!!!

Will post pics!!

Edited to add: Join us no matter when you due date is. These broody hens are an adventure!

Please share!!!
pop.gif

Last edited:
Our incubated eggs are due around the 23rd. Don't know if this is comparable or not
smile.png

Will be candling tomorrow.... if I can wait for day 8.... trying to resist.

gckidd- I came acoss this site in which they share some great info and tips for hatching with a broody.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Day 1 for me was January 28th. I ordered 8 EE eggs from jmhappycowboy. They are the most beautiful shades of green and blue. I am having trouble seeing into them for candling. Unfortunately, I am not sure how many are viable due to them being delivered in a blizzard, but I have my fingers crossed. I did have one crack- I think more from having her with the other hens at first then freeze/ thaw.

I am going to attempt candling again tonight-day 11. Now that I am looking at the calendar mine are due 17/18th. Woot!!!

As for the poop- he suggests wire under foot. Mine has been using their dust box as a litter box on her trips out. The first time she did it I could not figure out what the stench was. DH covered his nose and mouth with his shirt! Now I am ready with the pan and shovel at first waft- it's outta there!

ETA- adjustments to dates_ I apparently can't count!

Last edited:
Gallina Loca -- Well.... I am sure that my broody hen is cuter than your bator, but don't want to hurt your bator's feelings!
tongue2.gif

Actually, I am hoping to have a batch in a bator myself this week. It will be in a local classroom and they will be eggs that I am ordering. So, I will be posting about them, too.

Thanks for joining the thread. This is our first time hatching babies. We are thrilled. I just hope some hatch. She was only half hearted about it for the first 3 days.

So we get to candle on the 7th or 8th day, right? Do you then remove the eggs that are not veining??

Waiting for updates!!!

Last edited:
Beau Coop,

Thanks for the article! made me feel better about my broody who is a Buff Orpington.

You are a bit ahead of us, so I will be anxious to see your progress as we go.

Pics!! Can you get a pic of your candling?

I have never seen this. Can't wait to do it ourselves.

Off to Home Depot, we have got to get that hen moved out of the way of the menacing hens that want in her box!! They are all just ticked at her.

Oh I am so glad you started this thread.. mine just went broody too.. first time for me..
ya.gif

I am going to seperate her today.. I will post pics.. My eggs are brown?? can I candle?
idunno.gif

Oh I am sooo hoping she is sitting on 8 eggs. she has tons of room left too.. I may try to sneek some more under her..
duc.gif

But going to get her all set up today.. and other outside stuff..

oh how exciting..

Back
Top Bottom