Arizona Chickens

We had another coyote in the yard yesterday. It was exactly the same scenario as the last time. Right after a rain storm at about 1:15 in the afternoon. Probably the same critter. Anyway, I heard several chickens squawk and looked out the window and there he was. I grabbed the gun, but the kids let the dog out. To him, I am sure, it just looked like a really big rabbit and he went after it. I went out the gate and did get a shot at it as it was starting over the hill, but I don't know if I hit it or not. It gets really rocky and cactussy up there and I only had my slippers on, so I didn't venture very far to find out.

Anyway, I watched him sail over my fence like it wasn't even there. It is 7 feet tall where he went over.

Oh, and btw, all the girls and their brave roo are fine.

Keep a watch on your flock.

Quote:
I would like to get a few Barred Rocks, but I'd rather start with pullets if possible.

I'll watch this thread, though, and see if you get any other takers, as I only want a few, too!

Hi everyone,

I just found this thread....I am not new to chickens but kind of new here. I live up north of Prescott in Chino Valley AZ.

I have a whole yard full of animals.....

I have started hatching things out for people. I only have a couple different kinds at this time. Everything was laying really well until the snow we had a couple of days ago, now not so well. We are looking to get some more rain/snow too. Looks like more work for me.

Just want to say hi to all...

Gretchen

She is due any day....I haven't had any Dexters born here before, I have only had her since September.....I didn't get a day from her past owner, I was just told Feb, It is looking like it will be toward the end of the month...I can't wait

I am picking up a trio of Welsummers tomorrow...I am so excited

Thanks for the welcome...Gretchen

Well, despite my various efforts to kill them off in the incubator, they hatched anyway. 37 eggs were set from 11 and 9 month old pullets. 3 eggs were clear at day 10 and pulled from the bator. After the hatch was over, I listened for peeping from each of the remainders and couldn't raise any sound out of them. I opened them up and found five looked like they were quitters somewhere around day 15 or so. One one was fully formed, but dead and never pipped. We have 28 busy little peepers out in the brooder now!
wee.gif
The only problem remaining, is what are we going to do with them all? I'd like to keep them all, but really can only accommodate ten or so more hens and a couple of roosters. We're mulling over some "Rooster Condo" ideas for the roos we have now and a couple of extra units for any additions. Here's a pic I took this morning of the new additions.
5831_dscf0390.jpg

Looks like a salt and pepper combo. The roosters were BOs and GLWs. The pullets were GLWs, SLWs, BOs and EEs. There are some very colorful chicks that I would be interested in seeing as adults. If, anybody close by might be interested in a couple of chicks, or more, let me know.
pop.gif

azelgin---nice looking chicks, congrats

I have 7 Khaki Campbell that hatched yesterday, I need to take some pictures they are so cute right after they are born

Pester John---I don't have any barred rocks yet....I am hoping that I will soon, I did send you a PM

Big day today, I think that my dexter cow is in labor....we will see

Gretchen

OK, the chicks are hatched and in the brooder. Now what? Not that we don't know how to care for them, but what are we going to do with them all? We already have 49 chickens. I have room for a few more, but, six weeks from now, someone has gotta go! I listed them here on BYC, in the BST forum, but, that has dropped off the page into oblivion. I suppose Craigslist is an option, but, I always get so many bizarre trade offers (no thanks, I don't need two left handed golf clubs, or, a B&W TV) I would rather give them away to folks on here. So, if you folks in S.E. Arizona, or, anywhere else within driving distance, want some FREE chicks, here's your chance. Tell your friends too! There is a picture and description a page or two back on this thread. Thanks.
tongue.png

PS: I could be talked into re-homing your EE roo. The two we had were psychos and needed to be put in the freezer. I wouldn't have felt good about passing them on to someone else.

Quote:
All I have to get rid of (right now) is the chicks. They are less than a week old. If, they develope like the parents, I would not expect to see any eggs from them until at least July. They will all be brown egg layers. The EE mutts could go either green, brown, or, olive. I can't let go of any hens or pullets right now. I have more egg customers than I ever dreamed of and am always short on eggs. Winter and molting have cut me even shorter. They forage pretty well when the weather gets warmer, so it's not feed cost that determine my flock size. I can keep these chicks until they are six weeks, then at least 17 of them have to leave, or I'll have to build another coop and run.

Quote:
I have Golden Cuckoo Marans under my broody right now. Obviously, it will be a while before they will be laying, but I will be needing to sell some of them when they get big enough to sex. They come from Melissa (in Texas). That is, if I get a good hatch rate.

I will keep you all posted.

There is a feed store in Phx that takes in chickens that need homes. It is The Feed Lot. You might call them and see what they have. They had an EE roo and two hens last time I was in there as well as some really beautiful bantams.

Back
Top Bottom