Are poor hatches normal on shipped eggs? (Updated Hatching Chart)

Quote:
That is for 6 day old chicks and yes I did say they were expensive that is $25 per chick.

If I'm not mistaken, what I saw was the buff sussex are $150 per 6 day old chicks ($25 each)....the silver sussex are $750 per 6 ($150 each). I'm sure these are fine birds but to an average joe like me the pricing tended to startle me a tad.

You are correct my mistake on that, the birds I purchased were not sussex but Pumpkins, and yes they were still expensive I am very happy though. Apparently silver sussex are rare and in demand to bring that price.
From Greenfirefarms website:

There are eight color varieties of Sussex, several of which are not found in America. Prior to 2007, four color varieties were represented here: light, red, speckled, and buff. But, in the summer of that year, Greenfire Farms imported new Sussex bloodlines from championship stock in Australia. (Imports have been banned from England because of avian flu in that country.) These birds included two new Sussex varieties that may have never existed in America: silver Sussex and the subtly beautiful coronation Sussex.

That would explain why they are so expensive, sounds like they have champion bloodlines in those breeds and the chicks recieved would not be far down the line from the originals.​

Last edited:
Quote:
That would explain why they are so expensive, sounds like they have champion bloodlines in those breeds and the chicks recieved would not be far down the line from the originals.

Oh, I'd love to have some of them, but those would be breeder birds only wouldn't they...I mean, I'd feel terrible even eating an egg off one of them much less a roaster down the road!
big_smile.png

Ed

Thanks for all the help guys. I have read all of your post and it sounds like we are doing everything right except for the one suggestion of not turning them for the first day. I did place them directly in the turners after the resting period. Is that what I could be doing wrong? Also they have been shipped in from near and far. I may just be unlucky. The senders seemed to all have packaged good. I will keep my fingers crossed that these mext sets will hatch decent. I havnt givin up yet and my bud just ordered 2 more sets but I think I am going to hold off until I see how these do. I will keep everyone posted.

I have 5 eggs due to hatch today (i broke one by accident on the 1st day) and 2 look to have developed well.
I've been told thats normal for shipped eggs..

whether they'll actually hatch is another story.
fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom