Big's Curry Rice Soup

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
Back when I was a bachelor I met my buddy Bubba for lunch at Zao Noodle House on University Ave. in Palo Alto and had this soup as my first course. Didn't look for the recipe - I figured it out (which is what all you guys should be doing - dissect in your mind the elements of a dish and then make it yourself...).

This is easy, relatively fast and so darn good, especially on a cold night. What makes it so good is it's simplicity, resist the urge to throw the fridge in it, it won't be the same. Enjoy...

Mis en place:

2 Tbls EVO
1 large carrot, peeled and cut small dice
1/3 yellow onion finely minced
1 large clove garlic sliced
1 rounded tsp. curry powder
1 scant Tsp garlic chili paste

2 14 oz. cans chicken stock
1/2 cup uncooked white long grain rice

1 can cocoanut milk
1 cup cooked and shredded chicken meat
aprox. 14 2-3 inch long cilantro sprigs, leaves on the stems

Heat pan and add EVO, when oil is hot add carrots and onions and saute and stir about 2-3 minutes, now add curry powder, stir and cook about 1 minute, add sliced garlic and chile paste and stir and cook 1 minute, if it starts getting too dry looking add a little water to pan so things don't burn. Then add both cans of chicken stock and white rice, stir this well to get any cooked material off the bottom of the pan and combined well into the stock. Cook on medium low heat for about 20 minutes, then add cocoanut milk, chicken and cilantro and let simmer but NOT BOIL about 4-5 minutes.

Serve in small bowls and garnish with the green part of a scallion cut on the bias. OUTSTANDING !!!!!!

P1010033.jpg

Back
Top Bottom