Do shipped eggs really hatch?

houndit

There is no H or F in Orpington!
14 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Braymer Missouri
I am not having good hatches with shipped eggs. I ordered 12 Speckled Sussex eggs from epling01 on eggbid. I got one chick only. Out of Easteregger eggs in the same incubator I got a bunch. The only difference besides breed was shipped and not shipped. I ordered some white Holland eggs from Skeyesrocket and none of them are pipping. Some of my turkey eggs in the same incubator are hatching but they are not. I do not really blame the sellers. All the eggs arrived in wonderful condition. I broke open the Sussex eggs yesterday and 2 were almost fully developed a couple were developed a tiny bit and the rest looked like scrambled egg. If an egg is not fertile it remains like a normal eating egg right? So if it looks like scrambled egg it means it was damaged in shipping right?
I hear all these people say I got a wonderful hatch from so and so's eggs. I am by no means an expert incubator and I only have the cheap foam incubators. Do I have to invest in one of the really good and expensive ones just so I can get eggs? I do not turn them at an exact 12 hour interval because it is hard to work into my schedule. Could this effect them? But like I said my eggs hatched while the shipped ones did not.
SO CAN YOU REALLY GET CHICKS FROM SHIPPED EGGS!!!???
Can you tell anything I am doing wrong?

The only time I get a 100% hatch is when I hatch my own. But I have grow out pens and brooders full of chicks from shipped eggs this year. I caught the incubating bug when I decided to give my orpingtons and silkies quality boosts this year. I think you need to buy an egg turner. I use 2 foam bators with egg turners and they do all the work for me. This may be your problem with the formed chicks. There isn't anything you can do about the scrambled ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I let my eggs sit a day after recieving them in the mail..

I got 11 eggs to hatch out of 18.. One pipped and died.. 3 were clear.. The rest were quiters. I know shipped eggs can some times not hatch. But these were my first shipped eggs.. I expected the hatch to be worse..

I caught the bug. But have to wait till these grow up a bit before I hatch again..

I usually let them set at least 8 hours before incubating them. Does this really effect them. So you think I need to get an eggturner? Does this really increase your hatch rate?

I have two sets of shipped eggs hatching as we speak out of a Little Giant styro bator. This is my first attempt with shipped eggs.
Set one came half way across the country, was lost at my post office for several days and has been with out a doubt the best hatch I have had yet.
On day 7 I had 14 of 16 going strong. 12 have hatched so far with one zipping now and the last one rocking around with no pip yet.
Set two was shipped from 60 miles away. Of 15 I think only 8 were still going on day 14. Two have hatched and one is pipped so far. Today is day 21 and I hear that Marans come late so I am still very hopeful that the other five will come thru.
I think it is just luck of the draw with the shipped ones.

Yes on the egg turner. My sucess rate went up quite a bit when I started using one.

Last edited:
I think it is worse when your eggs from individuals on here hatch and they have obvious flaws. Like silkies with 4 toes and no vault, nothing like the website, way worse than the "dreaded" hatchery birds. Sultans that are teeny tiny with 4 toes. Americaunas from a blue/black splash pen with no muffs and chipmunk coloring.
I went from two dozen to 6 BLRW's that are supposed to hatch Saturday and they will probably be Malays or something
hmm.png
. I'm still excited though, I hope they are pretty!!!
big_smile.png

Houndit, Be sure you get a thing to measure humidity. I bought one off of ebay for $5 which included shipping and it made a huge difference. I was previously trying to hatch eggs at 30% or worse!!

Back
Top Bottom